• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Zero The 1ne

Nooooob! Wants to make an RPG

This topic is 3404 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hiya!, I'm new here and just wanna say what's up! FFXIII roxxx! Ok, enough of that. I am fairly advanced in C++. I am advanced in Basic, and Python, I have used Maya and Blender ( couldn't use 3dsmax cuz i didn't have internet at the time.), and I have got to say, Allegro is the bomb! I have used engines such as Irrlicht, Ogre, Allegro, Vb, Lua, and such.(did i mention im 15,XD!!!!!) But now I want to make an RPG, and, no bad cmmnts please, I suck at design for RPG. I have programmed a little game in DevKitAdvance, and I know alot about functions. I don't know much about class, or such. I want to make an RPG like Valkyrie Profile, but with Random battle encounters, and also, because they have handpainted backgrounds, which i can get from friends. It can be like Street Fighter, but in Modern Japan with streets like NY.I need guidance. A tutor. ( well, not so much!) But i need heeeelllp. I need someone to exppplllaaaainn---pplleeeaaase!! thnx in advance =) Damian

Advertisement
1) We know you are a "nooooob" already, because you are asking a question in For Beginners. You don't need to remind us of this.

2) In combination with all the other "extended" words, it gets kind of annoying. A little maturity is called for here, please.

2a) This isn't a chat room. You have all the time in the world to revise your post. Try to organize your thoughts better than "I want to make something like A, but with B, also because it has C, which my friends can help me with". (That doesn't even make any sense, anyway: *also* because it has C? What was the first reason?)
2b) Most of the people who will be able to answer your questions here (if anyone can) are adults, many of whom are professionals working in the field or pursuing post-graduate degrees.

3) If you need help with something, you pretty much have to be able to formulate a question and ask it.

4) We don't use [img] and [url] tags here. Try reading the FAQ that is linked at the top of each forum page (it has an icon depicting a life preserver and magic wand).

Quote:
Original post by Zahlman
4) We don't use [img] and [url] tags here. Try reading the FAQ that is linked at the top of each forum page (it has an icon depicting a life preserver and magic wand).

Actually, you don't want that to work anyway as it's his signature. And we all know how much the people on GDNet hate image signatures that are gigantic. And the picture he links to is much larger than anyone would appreciate.

Have you never programmed a game? You should begin with an easier project instead of an RPG as you're a noob (in your own words). Why don't you try to write a tetris clone at first?

I have programmed games for almost 10 years now. I did not begin with an RPG but with a very small platform-action game (a simple Megaman clone) in RPL on HP 48GX, then I programmed a small shoot'em up in Python, after that I programmed a tiny online fighting game in Java and now I have worked for 2 years on a FPS in Java.

If you still want to create a RPG, why not using RPG Maker XP?

I think you should also reconsider your self-appraisal of your programming skills. I think fairly advanced in C++ would require an understanding of classes, which are of significant relevance to games development.

Start small. Make a text adventure. You could 'draw' maps with the text if you wanted, and if it works well the game logic would still transfer to a graphical game (in fact if you designed things correctly with virtual functions, the translation could be quite smooth). And if it doesn't work out you will have learnt loads for your next project.

1)Damn it Zahlman-you know what? I've been on this site since the damn 6th grade, you need to stop acting like you are the mother******* boss around her, k? Thanx for the advice guys, oh and i will make my banner smaller, but please, try to be a little more respectful? Haven't you guys heard of "friendly"?

I think you need to take a good look at what you've just posted and realise that you need some grounding. I'm not advanced in C++ but I can definitely tell that you're not either.

I agree with what's been said already: organise your thoughts better, cut the swearing/insults and re-evaluate your abilities. You're not going to get the help you want from people unless you treat them with respect and you're honest within your own confines.

Sorry about the double text, it didn't go through the first time. Ok , now , The reason I call myself a noob that needs guidance is because
1) I haven't had much experience with the designs of rpgs.
1a) I have played much of FFVI and FFX, so I know how much of the battle system plays out
1b) I don't create graphics, actually my friend puts in the codes for images, i just place where to call them in, and use the pointers and addresses for them.
1c)I don't care whether or not you ***holes are in college or whatever. And if you feel like bragging about how much experience you have, why don't you get off your fat *** and go get a job, earn some money, build a company, and go make some "great" games. I hate it how you guys keep saying $#i+ like "Don't go into making games, I'm a ___major in college and since you aren't, i advise you shouldn't make games.

2) I dont like bad comments
and
3) When I explained what the game would be like that was a summary of my imagination of that time - a summary of my IMAGINATION, not the real game. I have designed every single implementation of the game. There's something called help, and then theres criticism. "You have all the time in the world to revise your post. Try to organize your thoughts better "

Damian

Theres a reason I don't complete a sentence.
I have a life,
Theres work that need tending to when I'm around
I have no need nor time to revise each individual letter and phrase in the world that i've created. Think about what you say, before you say it, there's no such thing as thinking of what you write, before you write it.
I do not enjoy critics when they seize opputunities that need no aid.
let me enjoy my posts as i please.
In the meanwhile, maybe you should think about refining your posts to answer the question atop the thread
NOOOb (nu-oo-b):1. Individual requiring assistance with lack of knowledge in a particular area or field. INEXPERIANCE. NEWBIE.

Don't quote my work. I write my way. You just need to think of a good enough response eligible enough for participation in my threads, retards.

~Zero The 1ne

This topic is 3404 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.