Nooooob! Wants to make an RPG

Started by
12 comments, last by jpetrie 14 years, 12 months ago
Quote:Original post by Zero The 1ne
1c)I don't care whether or not you ***holes are in college or whatever. And if you feel like bragging about how much experience you have, why don't you get off your fat *** and go get a job, earn some money, build a company, and go make some "great" games. I hate it how you guys keep saying $#i+ like "Don't go into making games, I'm a ___major in college and since you aren't, i advise you shouldn't make games.

This is a great example. Damian, read that quote back to yourself. If the roles were reversed and someone said that to you, would you be more inclined to help them? Each person here can make a choice whether to help you or not, and by insulting them, you're not helping yourself.

2) I dont like bad comments

Criticism is the root of self-improvement, which is why I'm responding to your posts.

3) When I explained what the game would be like that was a summary of my imagination of that time - a summary of my IMAGINATION, not the real game. I have designed every single implementation of the game. There's something called help, and then theres criticism. "You have all the time in the world to revise your post. Try to organize your thoughts better "

The problem with this is when you come to explaining yourself, as you have, it doesn't come out as you perceive in your imagination. We cannot see what you're thinking. That's why Zahlman has suggested you revise your post to make it more descriptive and a more accurate representation of what you want to achieve and what your specific problem(s) is(are).

People are giving you sound advice here. Take it.
Advertisement
Quote:
2) I dont like bad comments
and
3) When I explained what the game would be like that was a summary of my imagination of that time - a summary of my IMAGINATION, not the real game. I have designed every single implementation of the game. There's something called help, and then theres criticism. "You have all the time in the world to revise your post. Try to organize your thoughts better "

Zahlman's post was perfectly civil and falls perfectly within the domain of acceptable behavior on this forum. If you don't like "bad comments" or criticism, you should not post messages to a public forum where such is permitted (within reason). As such I'm afraid you may need to develop a thicker skin, or go elsewhere.

Your original post was rambling, awkwardly-phrased and poorly-defined; there was no actual question. This is a forum, one dedicated to the answering of questions held by beginners. The care with which you post here, and the quality of those posts, tends to directly correlate with the utility of the answers you get. If you don't ask a question, you won't get an answer.

If you have specific questions, ask them. Otherwise if you really want somebody to hold you hand and guide you every (or most) steps of the way, you may want to consider posting a request in Help Wanted.

Quote:
Damn it Zahlman-you know what? I've been on this site since the damn 6th grade, you need to stop acting like you are the mother******* boss around her, k?

And if you have really been here as long as you have you should be aware of how well-respected and knowledge Zahlman and some of the other users here are. I don't appreciate your attacks against their character. Please refrain from doing so in the future.

Quote:
I think you should also reconsider your self-appraisal of your programming skills. I think fairly advanced in C++ would require an understanding of classes, which are of significant relevance to games development.

Self-assessment of programming language skill should always be taken well-salted, especially here. I don't think it's worth dwelling on the subject.
Sorry about the double text, it didn't go through the first time. Ok , now , The reason I call myself a noob that needs guidance is because
1) I haven't had much experience with the designs of rpgs.
1a) I have played much of FFVI and FFX, so I know how much of the battle system plays out
1b) I don't create graphics, actually my friend puts in the codes for images, i just place where to call them in, and use the pointers and addresses for them.
1c)I don't care whether or not you ***holes are in college or whatever. And if you feel like bragging about how much experience you have, why don't you get off your fat *** and go get a job, earn some money, build a company, and go make some "great" games. I hate it how you guys keep saying $#i+ like "Don't go into making games, I'm a ___major in college and since you aren't, i advise you shouldn't make games.

I don't think anyone has said NOT to make a game. People have advised you to start on a smaller project first in order to figure out how to design (what you say you need help with!) RPGs. If you don't understand how to design it then frankly you either:

A. Won't get much done without constant asking of the 'tutor'
B. Constantly refactoring.

You really do need to start out on smaller projects before you pursue this or it will just be a big project of disapointment. Either start out on smaller projects or use something like RPG Maker (like another mentioned) or Game Maker.

Also, no one has even in the least bit bragged about being in college\professional developer. It was mentioned so that hopefully you'd type atleast a little bit more coherently.
Quote:
Don't quote my work. I write my way. You just need to think of a good enough response eligible enough for participation in my threads, retards.

On the other hand, while Zahlman isn't "the boss here," I am. And I don't appreciate this attitude one bit.

Why don't you take some time to cool off? You can come back later and try again.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement