• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

QT vs GTK

This topic is 3228 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been working on a game engine/editor off and on for a very long time. I have no GUI. My editor works with a lot of hot keys and little windows that I draw with OpenGL polygons. Anyway, it's time for a GUI. I imagine it will be a hair raising experience to put what I already have into a GUI window but I'm going to do it. Anyway, which is EASIER? Qt or GTK?

Advertisement
Not that I have any clout in these forums. But, I personally would strongly suggest Qt. My reasons are that it's really easy to learn. I feel that learning the API will present you with more opportunities when trying to find a job outside of hobby development. It's cross platform and now fully open source. Tools are fully integrated with the Windows tool chain (Microsoft Visual Studio) which was a pay for feature in the past. I use the open source version at home to keep the ol'Qt skills up. Well documented, good source examples, good WYSIWYG editor. It's a very slick library. GTK, I have my opinions but really don't know that much about it so I really don't want to speak to it as it might just cause a flame war.

Good luck...

Whoa, this is like way more complicated than I realized. I'm already neck deep in SDL and OpenGL. I don't think it's as simple as adding a "wxwidgets.h" file and then getting a neat drop down file menu on your SDL window. I think if I was going to use a GUI library the only sane way to do it would be to start with it from the beginning. So... forget it. I'll make my own damn buttons.

[Edited by - icecubeflower on April 20, 2009 5:43:51 AM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement