• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
icecubeflower

QT vs GTK

This topic is 3466 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been working on a game engine/editor off and on for a very long time. I have no GUI. My editor works with a lot of hot keys and little windows that I draw with OpenGL polygons. Anyway, it's time for a GUI. I imagine it will be a hair raising experience to put what I already have into a GUI window but I'm going to do it. Anyway, which is EASIER? Qt or GTK?

Advertisement
Not that I have any clout in these forums. But, I personally would strongly suggest Qt. My reasons are that it's really easy to learn. I feel that learning the API will present you with more opportunities when trying to find a job outside of hobby development. It's cross platform and now fully open source. Tools are fully integrated with the Windows tool chain (Microsoft Visual Studio) which was a pay for feature in the past. I use the open source version at home to keep the ol'Qt skills up. Well documented, good source examples, good WYSIWYG editor. It's a very slick library. GTK, I have my opinions but really don't know that much about it so I really don't want to speak to it as it might just cause a flame war.

Good luck...

Whoa, this is like way more complicated than I realized. I'm already neck deep in SDL and OpenGL. I don't think it's as simple as adding a "wxwidgets.h" file and then getting a neat drop down file menu on your SDL window. I think if I was going to use a GUI library the only sane way to do it would be to start with it from the beginning. So... forget it. I'll make my own damn buttons.

[Edited by - icecubeflower on April 20, 2009 5:43:51 AM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!