• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
DarkBalls

How does 3D engine look like?

This topic is 3322 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

It's not a game engine just a 3D engine. I focus only in 3D because I want to become a good graphics programmer, include also those shaders. ;) Anyway, is there any generic 3D engine structures? I'm creating one right now. So far, I have almost 10 headers and it can now create an opengl window with just only 1 call which is createDevice(), and draw simple 3D shapes on the window. I base my structures on irrlicht's classes but I think relying on it too much is not good. Is there any site which has a good tutorial on creating the structure for my 3D engine? Any book, article? Cheers DarkBalls

Advertisement
a 3D engine is synonymous with Game engine because a game engine will contain a 3D engine within it (as well as other things like networking, file IO, etc). I would recommend looking at this book to start. It helped me when I was writing my engine. The problem is that a book can only take you so far, after a while it becomes up to you how the engine is designed. I would also look into design patterns because they can help you design an engine that is well structured and easy to use and maintain.

To be honest I wouldn't say folling Irilicht's sturcture is a bad thing at all, it's a very well built and successful engine, although it does also depend on what kinds of things your engine will feature.

Quote:

Anyway, is there any generic 3D engine structures? I'm creating one right now

Other than general system design guidelines, there are few general 'rules' for engine design. The fact that you ask this question suggest that perhaps you don't understand your own requirements, which in turn suggests you should step back and consider what kind of game you are making.

Quote:

To be honest I wouldn't say folling Irilicht's sturcture is a bad thing at all,

I would. It and Ogre are both very successful, commonly-used engines. But that unfortunately doesn't mean they're great examples of good overall system design.

Quote:

Any book, article?

Take a look at Code Complete and David Eberly's books on game engine architecture and design.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!