• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Id Tech 3 GPL

This topic is 3313 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys! I'm considering using the Id Tech 3 engine or one of its many GPL derivatives for my next game project. I just wanted to know if it is possible to create a commercial game with a GPL engine. I know of a game 'Space Trader' that does this, so I guess that answers that question, but I want to know how. Is it by merely keeping the engine and content seperate. I know there is nothing stopping me selling such a game as long as i distribute the source code, but will the GPL affect the game content. Sorry for any convoluted comnplicatedness of that (and this!) Programmer88 -The EvilSpaceHamster

Advertisement
Why do you want to use that engine? It's really old. Probably smarter to use some of the open source engine/libs with less restrictive licenses and modern features.

Quote:
I know there is nothing stopping me selling such a game as long as i distribute the source code, but will the GPL affect the game content.

AFAICT no. In my interpretation you only need to release source code that is somehow linked to/making use of the GPL code. I think that means that you don't even need to release your AI scripts.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!