• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

LogLuv and multi pass rendering

This topic is 3223 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm wondering if there is a way of using LogLuv (RGBA) encoding with multiple render passes (with additive and/or multiplicative blending) The engine I'm currently using does lighting in a different pass. I'm not talking about alpha blending, as that is obviously not possible. Thanks

Advertisement
No, you can't use additive blending with LogLuv encoding. You can filter it, but adding fragments together won't work since the luminance is stored across two components. This generally make it unsuitable for accumulating your lighting values for a deferred pass.

Yeah I assumed that ;) but it doesn't hurt to ask.

I found a way round the problem by having the extra light pass(s) sample the scene color, decode it, accumulate lighting, then encode again, rinse and repeat. I haven't profiled it yet, but I don't expect too much of an issue because I'm mainly using static lighting which is all in one pass.

Cheers

I would like to plug (shamelessly) for my article in ShaderX7 "Light Pre-Pass Renderer: Using the CIE Luv Color Space". The section on grouping and rendering lights describes a technique which should be useful for accumulating the dynamic lighting data with as few passes as possible.

Quote:
Original post by patw
I would like to plug (shamelessly) for my article in ShaderX7 "Light Pre-Pass Renderer: Using the CIE Luv Color Space". The section on grouping and rendering lights describes a technique which should be useful for accumulating the dynamic lighting data with as few passes as possible.

That actually sounds neat, I didn't know that was in there. Guess it's worth the $38 bucks. :P

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement