rpg game.

Started by
7 comments, last by nuvasufar 14 years, 12 months ago
Hello everyone! I am kinda new to game programming and I was just wondering what to start with if I am intending to make online rpg's. Well,not exactly online,because you can't interract with other players. Something like DragonFable or MechQuest. I am pretty advanced at c/c++ programming,but I've never built a game before. I love those games and I would like to make my own "2d rpg game". So,the main questions: 1.What programs should I use for building a web-based 2d rpg dragonfable like game? 2.And a pretty irrelevant question,but:how much lines of code/time would it take(if I would have experience in game development and would work at both coding and graphic 5-6 hours/day) Just to help you in answering the 2nd question:a pretty big 2d universe,quests,monsters,lot's of skills. I do not accept "it depends" answers. I gave you all the detalis. :) ps:sorry because I make you answer those over-asked questions,but if the time of developing such a game is too big,there's no reason for me to start programming in a different program. pps:sorry for my bad english. And thank you for your help!
Advertisement
Some answers,please?..
Well if you're wanting to make one just like them then they both use Flash for their frontend. For the backend/server side that would be flexible, you could really choose any language that could setup services that flash can communicate with.

How long will it take? That depends and nobody at all here could give you even a remotely accurate answer for how long it will take you to learn and create the idea that only you know no matter how many details you give. Why do you think practically no software project ever meets it's first 'deadline'.

I've never touched flash myself or have any familiarity with their products but I did recently see https://freeriatools.adobe.com/learnflex/?PID=1225267 , Adobe is offering free copy of Flex builder to unemployed developers. You may want to read the license there.
"The general thanks you!" - Quote from a call I took at work.
Quote:
1.What programs should I use for building a web-based 2d rpg dragonfable like game?

If you want this to be web-based, you really probably don't want to be using C++, at least not for the front end. Java, Flash, PHP, C# (via ASP.NET or Silverlight) are all better options. C++ in the web domain is pretty painful.

Quote:
2.And a pretty irrelevant question,but:how much lines of code/time would it take(if I would have experience in game development and would work at both coding and graphic 5-6 hours/day)

There is no sane, useful answer to that question. It depends on a huge number of factors, most of which boil down to how good you are and what it is you want to do, specifically.

Quote:
I do not accept "it depends" answers.

Tough.

Quote:
I gave you all the detalis. :)

No you didn't, and even if you did provide a vastly more detailed breakdown of your plans, it wouldn't matter because ultimately how long it takes you and how much code it takes you depends on you and your ability to work with the language(s) and tool(s) you've chosen efficiently.
Thank you for the answers.
Actually,I am not really interested in how much time would it take.
I want ot know if a game like that could be made by a single person.
Well, I would say that if you could do everything that comes along with game creation, then yeah you could do it by yourself...

But you would have to make ALL of the images your game will use.
All the Sounds.
Not to mention all the tools you will need to create for your game.
Plus the main framework of the game, meaning the game mechanics, actions and the like.
Also, it's an online game? I just started reading a book on network programming for C++ programs and even though the writer is doing a great job of breaking it down for noobs, this stuff isn't a walk in the park, so you'll have to do that alone too.

My recommendation: Build a team if you are serious.
--------- ApochPiQ : <Serious Grammar Nazi Pet Peeve> FFS guys, it's spelled "dying". That is all. </Serious Grammar Nazi Pet Peeve>
The players in the game can not interract with eachother.
So,I don't think it could be called an online game.
I want the game just to be placed on a site,with players that got to have an account to play.
Their progress will be automatically saved.

I can't say I'm "serious" because I don't want to make a commercial game.
Just a game that can entertain me and my friends. :)

Anyway,I can handle all the work.

But those kind of games aren't made in PHP?
No, about 95% of all games on the internet are made in flash, the other 5% in Silverlight/&#106avascript.<br>(Number from my head, but should be accurate enough)
Can you reccomend me some books where I can learn flash or other programs used for creating web games?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement