• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
adityav89

How to begin XNA ???

This topic is 3408 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I would like to start learning XNA ,but i dont know c#(OR java). However , i have a good hand over c++ and Directx (yup Win32,Directx SDk...). So should i learn c# throughly before going into XNA or can i learn XNA directly? And if i do need to learn c# throughly then like how much time would it take consedering i already know c/c++?

Advertisement
It's not too big of a leap, but I would still recommend learning a bit of C# before trying out XNA. It's not a difficult language to learn though, and you don't really need to know the ins and outs, just enough to get your feet wet.

A week should be more than plenty if you know C++.

Ok then one more thing . How much time will it take for me to learn XNA (is it really vast) , meaning will it be like learning another programming lang. or directx ?

Hi,
well, unless u choose studying a gaming career or so, a good starting point is reading tutorials. I think a pretty good one is Riemers' site (i started with it).
It's like u won't learn it all in a bunch, but u'll getting new knowledges as u put in practice what u read. U'll find new needs & u'll have to find out how to solve them (first in ur head, thinking of an algorythm, then in code, browsing in forums or tutorials). There are many techniques already developed that u don't have to worry about. Some others u have to do it by urself.

It may take several months I guess. But u'll see that in a couple days u can already do nice things.

Synth.

I think that if u know C++ & DirectX, C# & XNA shouldn't be a problem. U just have to get used to C# & XNA Classes. C# is very similar to C++ as well as Java refering to syntax.
Again, in Riemers' site u have DirectX & XNA tutorials (the same tutorials translated) so THAT will be useful so u also compare the syntax & usage (i've programmed in DirectX & XNA & it's rather similar).
Good luck :)

Synth

I already knew a los of Java and C++ when I decided to start with XNA, so I just bought XNA Essential, a great book.

I recommend it for everyone who wants to learn XNA without wasting time with C# basics.

Quote:
Original post by Attanar
I already knew a los of Java and C++ when I decided to start with XNA, so I just bought XNA Essential, a great book.

I recommend it for everyone who wants to learn XNA without wasting time with C# basics.

Do you mean this book? If so, thanks! :)

Quote:
Original post by Machaira
Quote:
Original post by Attanar

Do you mean this book? If so, thanks! :)

Yah, that's the book :)

Riemers website, Ziggyware and the Creators club examples have been my main sources since I started last september.

Given the fact that you've got experience in DirectX already you won't have a problem with the harder parts regarding the mathematics involved, Matrices etc.

Give yourself a project to do, not too big (I started waaay too big) and think about what you're going to need to know to get it done, then look up examples and combine what you find into a working project.

Spend some time polishing that and organising your code the way you like it. Coming from C++ your code layout will probably be a bit different, it'll pay for the future to have a decent organisation worked out that you can reuse in all your projects.

And most of all if you find the code getting too much then the best thing I find is to look at other peoples work in XNA or come on to these forums and give advice or ask questions or just lurk around a few interesting threads, you'll soon start to get the flow of ideas back into your head :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!