• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

POCO C++ versus mysql++

This topic is 3318 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Has anybody here used POCO C++ or mysql++. We are currently using mysql++ in our game to connect to a mySQL database from C++, but are considering switching to POCO C++. Does anybody know what the advantages/disadvantages of each of the libraries are? And why would you use one over the other?

Advertisement
I don't claim to be an expert on either POCO C++ or mysql++, but is there some particular reason you are limiting yourself to these two options?

If you are running a mysql database on the server side now, I suggest using POCO C++ because it provides a layer of abstraction over your actual datasource, which would allow you to upgrade or switch your database if needed in the future. mysql++ appears (from its title) to be specifically coded for the mysql API, so it won't help you much if you later want to switch to Oracle, MSSQL, etc.

If this is not a client/server app may I suggest that you look into SQLite3. Hope this helps.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!