• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Avneet

Torque Engine and General Questions

This topic is 3496 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I have a few questions. Some friends and I have plans on making a game for the next 10 years or so. We all just started college and haven't gotten into our majors yet to learn what we need to know about making games. Here are some questions I have. 1) We are thinking of using the new Torque 3D. I know you purchase the engine by buying a license. How long does a license last if we were to purchase the engine as an indi? 2) It says $250 per developer. Does that mean a developer as a company or for every person who is using the engine to make the game? If it's per user, can my team and I all just use one engine together? 3) Is the license put under one persons name when bought? I say this because you need the higher end versions to transfer license between people. 4) As we require our game to use more features, can we upgrade current licensing to a higher level? Thank You very much.

Advertisement
You should really be e-mailing Garage Games these questions ...

1) These isn't an expiration date.
2) Per person.
3) Yes, registered per person.
4) Yes, they have an "upgrade" option.

These questions were all answered in the license which is freely viewable on their website.

Thanks a lot and sorry for asking here. Just thought I'd get best help from gamedev than anywhere else when it comes to creating games and anything to do with it :D

I have a few questions. Some friends and I have plans on making a game for the next 10 years or so. We all just started college and haven't gotten into our majors yet to learn what we need to know about making games. Here are some questions I have.

Torque is a great engine, no doubt about that. But remeber it is not the only engine out there. There are plenty of free alternatives. Check some of these out also:

Valve Source
OGRE
XNA <-- admitidly not an engine, but a great API

Tourqe has got a lot more expensive since I baught it a few years back, but have a look here for some of their licencing information.

Yeah I have seen them but we were looking for long term as we get deeper into our game. We thought this would be a great engine to use, esp. with its licensing costs. Now it's a matter of us building our skills through college and our jobs that come from it to build up experience as we work on our game on the side as a project.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!