• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
lithos

Keeping focus?

This topic is 3403 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

The question is simple. What tricks do you use for keeping yourself focused? After all it is quite simple to lose it or never even start. "I don't feel like it, work all day", "I should check the forums", or something even longer like "lets beat that game, it looked interesting". I know some of you have got to have some nice tricks being able to focus on some of the more frustrating things and having some very large projects. ___________ For me I discovered that a clean "desk" and things around the work area helps a lot. And spending 5 to 10 mins deciding what do do before ever opening up projects helps a lot.

Advertisement
lol, I have exactly that problem. My project was coming along nicely and then the X3:Terran Conflict 2.0 patch came out, I didn't get anything (including course work...) done for the next week or so, fortunatly it was Easter hoiliday so I had time to catch up on course work since then :)

Well this is not so much a trick but it allways seems to work for me when i need it to. Just ask yourself if you ever want it to get done your need to do it.

If i ever want to see the end of my project then i need to actualy work on it lol.

Can't see the end of the game if i never make the start.

Regards Jouei.

Unfortunately there's no magic trick to make the urge to procrastinate go away, but I find that the best approach is to stick to things long enough to make a habit (in psychology they tell you that this takes between 2-4 weeks in most people). So, in theory, if you can muster the gumption to stick with it that long, it will become easier to stick with than if you were to still be going through fits and starts.

The only other bit of advice I can say is to always get back on the horse when you fall off -- what you failed to follow through on yesterday should not be motivation to fail to follow through today, in fact it makes following through the next day doubly important.

Yeah unfortunately no real trick.

Personally I find the biggest problem is getting started again after a break or the next day. I've found that having a ready made very short task list of things to be done helps, much easier to convince myself to jump back in do one little part, which becomes two little parts and then I'm off coding for a few hours :)

Don't need to break the whole project down, just as your coding and noticing things or thinking of what to do next do something as simple as keep notepad open with your thoughts.

pff. Focused.

I let myself stray. I find it's easier to just run through the game or take a night off than fight it. Doing the other stuff makes me contented, which makes it easier to 'work' on hobby stuff. One of the benefits of the modern gaming industry... they don't make enough good games anymore to keep me occupied more than a week or two.

I set a small, easily achievable goal for myself whenever I sit down. It ensure that I'm always moving forward, and it keeps my morale up because I rarely miss my goal (only if I get interrupted or hit some unforeseen obstacle). It's also nice because I never stop with that goal, so I always get the feeling that I'm ahead of the game. It works very well for me.

Quote:
Original post by CyberSlag5k
I set a small, easily achievable goal for myself whenever I sit down. It ensure that I'm always moving forward, and it keeps my morale up because I rarely miss my goal (only if I get interrupted or hit some unforeseen obstacle). It's also nice because I never stop with that goal, so I always get the feeling that I'm ahead of the game. It works very well for me.

I like this idea. Thanks for sharing it.

The most common thing so far is breaking the project down.

More hints wanted of course, since this is a very interesting and important topic.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!