Lots of TCP data to localhost never arrives (C++, C#)

Started by
3 comments, last by Promit 14 years, 12 months ago
I'm using boost::asio to send some strings to a localhost client. The server accepts the connection with a TCP socket, and then simply sends some strings like so: std::string message = ... + "\r\n"; boost::asio::write(m_socket, boost::asio::buffer(message)); That gets called quite a lot of times. I'm then receiving the data on the client via C#, in a relatively simple ReadLine loop:

public string Receive()
{
	try
	{
		if(m_stream == null)
			return string.Empty;

StreamReader reader = new StreamReader(m_stream, Encoding.ASCII);
		string result = reader.ReadLine();
		return result;
	}
	catch(Exception)
	{
		return null;
	}
}

I have a thread that calls that function continuously until it returns null. Lazy, but it works. Almost. A snip of the expected output (this is the server's record of what it's sending):

System.Windows.Forms.ButtonInternal.ButtonStandardAdapter.PaintThemedButtonBackground : call count = 1
System.Windows.Forms.ButtonInternal.ButtonStandardAdapter.PaintWorker : call count = 1
System.Windows.Forms.ButtonInternal.ButtonStandardAdapter.PaintLayout : call count = 1
System.Windows.Forms.ButtonInternal.ButtonBaseAdapter.Paint : call count = 1
System.Windows.Forms.ButtonInternal.ButtonBaseAdapter.CreateTextFormatFlags : call count = 2
System.Windows.Forms.ButtonInternal.ButtonBaseAdapter.DrawFocus : call count = 1
System.Windows.Forms.ButtonInternal.ButtonBaseAdapter.DrawImage : call count = 1
System.Windows.Forms.ButtonInternal.ButtonBaseAdapter.DrawText : call count = 1
System.Windows.Forms.ButtonInternal.ButtonBaseAdapter.PaintField : call count = 1
System.Windows.Forms.ButtonInternal.ButtonBaseAdapter.CommonRender : call count = 1
System.Windows.Forms.ButtonInternal.ButtonBaseAdapter..cctor : call count = 1
ColorOptions.Adjust255 : call count = 6
ColorOptions.Calculate : call count = 1
System.Windows.Forms.Button.CreateStandardAdapter : call count = 1

And the actual received of the same snip:

r.PaintThemedButtonBackground : call count = 1
CreateStandardAdapter : call count = 1

As you can see, I'm missing a few lines. I suck at networks, and I thought TCP was supposed to prevent this sort of thing happening. What did I screw up here?
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Advertisement
Is it just hanging, waiting for more data to be recieved? Or is it actually returning null? If it is returning null, is it because ReadLine returns null or an exception is thrown?

I'm sure you've already checked all these things, but what did you find? :-P
Turring Machines are better than C++ any day ^_~
Quote:StreamReader reader = new StreamReader(m_stream, Encoding.ASCII);
return result;

Shouldn't reader be created once for duration of the stream (if m_stream is supposed to be NetworkStream).

Do you check the ::write() return value? How large are individual strings?
Quote:Original post by Antheus
Quote:StreamReader reader = new StreamReader(m_stream, Encoding.ASCII);
return result;

Shouldn't reader be created once for duration of the stream (if m_stream is supposed to be NetworkStream).
Yeah, the reader will do internal buffering, if I'm not mistaken, so if you create a new one each time, you'll miss data that the old one has buffered.

I'm not sure though, because you say you receive data in a "ReadLine loop" but there's no loop there :-)

Edit: Oh, wait, I missed where you say "I have a thread that calls that function continuously until it returns null". Yeah, that's definitely the problem. With only a few packets, there won't be any additional data for the StreamReader to buffer, so it'll look like it works. But if you're sending a lot of data, the StreamReader will read past the end of the line and buffer up the results.
Huh, I did not know that. Pick up new info all the time, I suppose. Anyway, I cached the StreamReader and everything works beautifully.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement