• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
limewater02

per-vertex animation

This topic is 3404 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I have to use export and treat per-vertex animation, through the pipeline. (as opposed to skeletal animation) This means exporting the position and rotation of every vertex in every frame of the animation. Is there any literature for compressing, simplifying such a data-set, without resorting to skeletal animation. -thanks -lw02

Advertisement
Hi!

I wouldn't export data for every frame of the animation, but rather for a number of keyframes (an animator usually defines these keyframes within an animation package like 3DS Max) and have your animation code interpolate between the vertex positions at these key poses.

Hope that helps.

DarthJappie is right, people dont generally export every frame because of the absolutely HUGE amount of data that would require for complex animations and models.

The type of animation your talking about though is Morphing, if you look that up you might find some good compression techniques like delta compression or something like that.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!