• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Real-Time Strategy Project: Knights vs. Orcs

This topic is 3205 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey all! This is a small real-time strategy game I have been working on for 1.5 years now on my spare time. Currently the project goes by the lousy name, knights vs. orcs. :) Let me know how it works out: Download Zip All feedback is welcome! Edit: ps. If you are a concept/2D artist and would like to work on this project for free, please contact me. I really need some help with some of the art. [Edited by - Arex on May 16, 2009 3:30:38 PM]

Advertisement
Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it.

The goal is to survive as long as possible. But, this is still work-in-progress and I'll have to figure out more depth to it.

Hehe.. it is great to hear that you liked the AI. One of the challenges of this has been to create good pathfinding & AI as it is based on fully free movement -> it doesn't contain tiles, just images with bounding areas. :)

Technology:
My own 2D sprite engine. It doesn't use GPU at all, everything is done on CPU. I have port for Mac and planning to do it for Linux also. I use SDL for sounds currently, but I had to disable them from the public version as the SDL seems to be crashing on Vista for some reason.

New version:
Download Zip

Changes:
- More blood!
- GUI help texts
- Berserk mode
- Experience attribute for units (they get better at weapons or tactics skill)
- Bug fixes
- Score points after the battle is over

Let me know how high scores you got!

ps. I'm still looking for artist to join in to the project.

I got 80 pts. Pretty cool so far. It would be nice if the humans and orcs had energy bars and to know how much damage is being exchanged. Also I'm not quite sure how to attack or if my guys are attacking. They only seem to respond when they get attacked or if I use berserk mode.
You should consider adding levels or waves whatever you want to call it, just some kind of break between waves of orcs and a brief message that you beat the 1st wave of orcs. It would also help in the pacing of the game time to order new troops etc. and a sense of accomplishment. Just so it's not a constant onslaught.
Oh and when I was playing once I got down to just one guy I got the message he was trying to flee. Then the game just froze for a minute, I could still select him but couldn't get him to move the 1 enemy orc on the screen just continued to wander around, then about 50+ orcs just appeared on the screen.

Thanks for the feedback!

Hmm.. so the your troops don't attack to the enemy if you select them and then right click to a enemy unit?

Good point on the levels/waves, I'll definitely add a feature like that.

The game seems to have a problem with redrawing itself and there is a bug where you can put a few archers down by the lake and the corner of the screen and it makes them invincible. But the game itself is extremely fun.

Khado & Eagle11, thanks for the feedback! This just confirms I have listened the feedback right. I'll be releasing a new version soon that will change the orc waves system so that the player has to finish up with the current wave before the next one comes. This will give some time for the player to regroup and think about new slaughtering strategy. :)

New version available at: Download Zip

Changes:
- Fixed some bugs related to melee fighting.
- New enemy wave comes after you have killed the current one. Gives some time to regroup.
- small changes..

Again, all feedback is more than welcome!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement