• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

How do I calculate the Z axis given the X and Y axis

This topic is 3230 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have been beating my head on this for a day now and can't figure it out. I have right handed 3D system and am given the direction of the relative positive x and y axis to an entity. I am trying to find the vector that represents positive z axis of the entity. In other words if the global or world axis are normally: X: 1.0 | 0.0 | 0.0 Y: 0.0 | 1.0 | 0.0 Z: 0.0 | 0.0 | 1.0 And my entity axis are defined as: X: +6.0 | -8.5 | +6.0 Y: -6.0 | -8.5 | -6.0 From this I can't seem to find a way to derive the vector of Z? This is driving me nuts oneway

Advertisement
I don't quite sure understand the problem that you're describing, but to get a Z axis for a given X and Y axis, then what you want is the cross product of X and Y axis. X cross Y in this case will give you the positive Z axis in the right hand coordinate system.

Quote:
Original post by nhatkthanh
I don't quite sure understand the problem that you're describing, but to get a Z axis for a given X and Y axis, then what you want is the cross product of X and Y axis. X cross Y in this case will give you the positive Z axis in the right hand coordinate system.

Thanks a million...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement