• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
brekehan

rev eng skybox from tex

This topic is 3321 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey fellas. I am trying to duplicate the background of one of the games I play frequently. They allowed us access to thier resources for modding. So, I am using those resources in my own hobby project to start with and get a head start, wihout spending months in a 3d modeler. I'll change them out with my own when things are programmed and it is on its way. Anway, I am trying to figure out how they did thier skyboxes. I am not even sure if it is a box. All I have to go on is a few textures. I found the following: nebula_bottomLeft 2048x1024 nebula_bottomRight 2048x1024 nebula_topRight 2048x1024 nebula_topLeft 2048x1024 starfield 1024x1024 dust 1024x1024 the nebulas obviously fit together if laid out side by side by thier titles, however I was expecting 6 sides of a cube and I only have 4? It also strikes me odd that they are 2x as wide as hey are high. The starfield might just be pasted 6 times on a cube, but I would think the repetition would be apparent. the dust looks like all 4 of the nebulas put together to form the complete picture, but is one image and is 1024x1024. Any ideas on how these might be used for background? I am not even sure if it is a cube...

Advertisement
The 4 bits of the nebula are almost certainly only separate textures due to hardware limitations on the max texture size often being 2048, and them being viewed close up in some situations.

As for how they are put together, it's difficult to guess without seeing the textures, and screenshots of them in use.

I'd start with trying out the starfield on all 6 sides of the skybox, and putting the nebulas and dust on screen facing quads.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!