• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Newbie C++ Game Developers

This topic is 3227 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hello! i'm planning to develop a 3D game.. but i dont know how to start i know a little bit of c++ programming.. i dont know what's a good c++ software that will suit to a good game engine can anybody tell me what c++ software to download an a game engine to... your reply will be my stepinstone to develop a good game... thanks

Advertisement
Oh, a 3D game?! Easy!

1. Learn how to spell, and use grammar properly.
2. Search for information throughout the forums.
3. Begin learning C++ with command-line programming.
4. Go into 2D graphics.
5. When you feel you have a good understanding of step 4, learn DirectX or OpenGL programming.

Good luck.

If I have one word of advice, it would have to be do not (under any circumstance) rush through the process. Though I am in a very similar position as you are, my main foccus right now is learning how to manipulate my chosen language. This language happens to be C++ in my case. I have been creeping about and looking at some 3D engines, as well as some 2D packages, and I have really come to the conclusion that I need to have more of a grasp on the programming language to effectively implement most of the features in most of these graphical developing tools.

In summary, it is probably a good idea to keep working on your coding skills and any other skills you may need to build your project. Jumping in too fast will just drown you.

I have to say... I rushed myself. And I wasted a whole lot of time. It has taken me going back for the last 6-8 months and RE learning c++ till I know the basics inside out (still working on that too.) Once I am ready(whenever that will be :) ) I plan on going into 2D games. Take it slow and steady. Don't rush yourself. you WILL regret it. You also might find out that once you learn C++ and are proficient in it(practically as well as theory) your goals may change. You wouldn't try to build a bridge without knowing how to use a hammer would you? Then make sure you can use that hammer(c++) and that brain of yours before you move too far and you fall into the river below.

Quote:
i dont know what's a good c++ software that will suit to a good game engine
can anybody tell me what c++ software to download an a game engine to...

If by C++ software, you are referring to an IDE/compiler I would go for Microsoft Visual Studio if you are developing on a windows pc or otherwise code::blocks which ships with the gcc compiler.

It's probably also a good idea to have a look at this thread.

Quote:
but i dont know how to start
i know a little bit of c++ programming.

But you should really take your time and not rush yourself to write a game if you don't even know your language, yet. Try to stick with it for a while until you are more confident and THEN go on to more complicated stuff like making a game. There are few things that are more demanding to your programming skills then writing a 3D game, you will only frustrate yourself and eventually give up if you don't know your language inside out.

So my advice is to make small steps, programm as much as you can, learn as much as you can and always make sure that you are ready before you move on (although you probably can never be truly ready^^).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement