• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Hp recovery?

This topic is 3228 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi iam new to programming and im recently working on this very simple MMO text game and i made a hp/energy bar but i cant figure how to code the codes for the hp recovery over time any helpw would be appreciated thx

Advertisement
If you know the lapsed time in milliseconds between two calls,you can do something like :

hpAccumulator += elapsedTime;
int hpRegen = 2;

if(hpAccumulator > 60000)
{
hp+=hpRegen;
if(hp>hpMax)
hp=hpMax;

hpAccumulator -= 60000;
}

[Edited by - Black Knight on April 22, 2009 3:45:23 AM]

Quote:
Original post by Black Knight
If you know the lapsed time in milliseconds between two calls,you can do something like :
*** Source Snippet Removed ***

Wouldn't hpAccumulator-=60000; be more accurate in the end ? (otherwise any overflow in time would be lost)

Yes,but I don't know if it will be noticable.If you are running at 30fps elapsed time will be ~33 milliseconds,so you will get at most 33 ms delays.Though it will get worse as fps drops so its better to make it right [smile]

ok i have this code

list($usec, $sec) = explode(' ', microtime());
$script_start = (float) $sec + (float) $usec;

//function code here

list($usec, $sec) = explode(' ', microtime());
$script_end = (float) $sec + (float) $usec;

$elapsed_time = round($script_end - $script_start, 5);

$hpAccumulator += $elapsed_time;
$hpRegen = 10;

$enperc=(int) ($ir['energy']/$ir['maxenergy']*100);
$wiperc=(int) ($ir['will']/$ir['maxwill']*100);
$experc=(int) ( $ir['exp']/$ir['exp_needed']*100);
$brperc=(int) ($ir['brave']/$ir['maxbrave']*100);
$hpperc=(int) ($ir['hp']/$ir['maxhp']*100);

if($hpAccumulator > 2)
{
$enperc += $hpRegen;
if($hp > $ir['maxhp'])
$hp=$ir['maxhp'];

$hpAccumulator -= 1000;
}

but the accumulator is not adding up :/
it work, but it doesnt stay perminate, if u refresh it the the elapsed time < hpaccumlator the added hp disapear

The amount you subtract from the accumulator should be the same as the threshold value that you check:

if($hpAccumulator > SOME_VALUE)
{
// ...
$hpAccumulator -= SOME_VALUE; // the same value as above!
}

Do you understand why?

Also, you are adding the hpRegen to "enperc", which certainly won't do what you want. You want to add the hpRegen to ir['hp'], which is where the current hitpoints are stored. Right? Similarly, you want to compare that value to ir['maxhp'] when you check for the HP limit. Thus, for example:

if($hpAccumulator > 1000)
{
$ir['hp'] += $hpRegen;
if($ir['hp'] > $ir['maxhp'])
$ir['hp'] = $ir['maxhp'];

$hpAccumulator -= 1000;
}

ohh lol kk i missed that

and no i actually do not understand y
$hpAccumulator -= SOME_VALUE need to the same value as if($hpAccumulator > SOME_VALUE)

and does this $ir['hp'] += $hpRegen; code actually go to the database and update the value of ['hp']?

dont u need to use the my_sql( UPDATE..?

Quote:
Original post by hiddendragon
and no i actually do not understand y
$hpAccumulator -= SOME_VALUE need to the same value as if($hpAccumulator > SOME_VALUE)

Try thinking about it. Say for example that exactly 30 milliseconds elapses between each update. Trace for yourself what the value of $hpAccumulator will be each time through.

Quote:
and does this $ir['hp'] += $hpRegen; code actually go to the database and update the value of ['hp']?

This updates the variable. The variable '$ir['hp']' represents how many hitpoints the player has. (I'm assuming '$ir' is the data for the current player.) The database is for remembering data between plays of the game. Variables keep track of things while the game is running.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement