• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
scap

creating a photo viewer

This topic is 3319 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello I need some help with a special purpose photoviewer. I am working toward creating an application for displaying timelapse photo sequences in stereo. The stereo that I am using is rather low-tech in that I use two LCDs and a mirror (it works well). For the application I was thinking about using openGL to render the images, however I am going to have to cycle through them pretty quick to get the desired frame rates (12 or 24 FPS). I have lots of system level programming experiance and I little GUI/OpenGL scientific type programming but photo manipulation and rendering is new to me. Any suggestions are where to begin. I need to get a prototype built very quickly. Jeff

Advertisement
a photo is just going to be a texture. I'd advise looking into texturing in OpenGL. I think OpenGL is capable of what you want, the biggest potential risk I can see is if you have a lot of large/high res photos you may need to phase the loading.

Can you explain what you mean by photo manipulation? If you mean effects applied across the whole photo (greyscale, blur, etc), these can be accomplished through a pixel shader.

[Edited by - Winegums on April 22, 2009 6:49:36 AM]

Quote:
Original post by scap
Hello I need some help with a special purpose photoviewer.

I am working toward creating an application for displaying timelapse photo sequences in stereo. The stereo that I am using is rather low-tech in that I use two LCDs and a mirror (it works well). For the application I was thinking about using openGL to render the images, however I am going to have to cycle through them pretty quick to get the desired frame rates (12 or 24 FPS). I have lots of system level programming experiance and I little GUI/OpenGL scientific type programming but photo manipulation and rendering is new to me. Any suggestions are where to begin. I need to get a prototype built very quickly.

Jeff

I would suggest using a 3rd party library like Qt or wxWidgets to create the application. They have components that will make this kind of project very easy.

perhaps opengl isn't the best application and I should look into QT or something else... For photo manipulation it is going to be a matter of mirroring some images and doing image alignments for stereo viewing, so I do need a little more than to just "view" the images.. It this point in the planning I am still open to new suggestions but I do need to find a starting place soon.

scap

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!