• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Poku

Game engines and graphics?

This topic is 3319 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey I know what a Game Engine does for a game, but im confused about what it does for the graphics. When i look at Game Engine screenshots or demos the graphics can vary much eventho im looking at the same Game Engine. Yes, i know its because the graphics depends on who made the it and not how the Game Engine works. So here is my quesstion. If the graphics doesn't depend on the Game Engine, why does everyone talk about CryEngine or UnrealEngine as the engines you wanna use if you want nice graphics? Why can't Horde3D just do the job?

Advertisement
apples and oranges...

an engine is meant to be something where you give it certain 'things' and it does certain things using what you gave it.

a purely physics engine is designed and marketed as such, and not as a graphics engine or car engine. an engine that is designed such that it incorporates various things is therefore capable of doing stuff to said things and produce something from it.

it's like if you wanted to plow a field you would by a horse, but not a ferrari... whereas if you wanted to race people on the highway you'd do the opposite. they have specific uses and aren't meant to do anything and everything.

some engines have a few things going for them instead of just one particular feature. if i want an engine that allows me to easily produce realistic physics as well as handles the drawing as well then i go and look for an engine that is designed to do that. if i do not care about the graphics and only want the physics side of things then i only need an engine that specifically handles physics. if i want an engine that makes me breakfast in bed then i'll hire a servant.

different strokes for different folks, and different engines for different things. some do more. some do less. some do nothing. some do lots.

another analogy is languages... some people speak only one, and some speak many. if you need someone that can speak russian and japanese then you don't go and find someone that speaks only english. you find someone who speaks russian and who speaks japanese. if you then ask the same person to produce something in latin then you have overstepped the capabilities of this person and therefore you require someone else in addition to the person you already have, or you get someone who can speak all 3 languages and replace the current person you have.

hope that helps.

To expand the upper post, also imagine how to use a specific engine.
Let's continue the languages example:

I need a person who can speak japanese and russian, and there are several persons available. However some of them are not very friendly or can't be instructed to do a specific thing. Maybe they even complain alot. So I chose the person who works in a way I want him/her to work.

The same can apply to game engines. While it may be possible to create a game like FarCry 2 with some cheap/free engine, a commercial one would do probably better (I do not want to start a discussion about that here, it's just an impression).

You also have to ask yourself how long it will take to achieve something with a certain engine. If an engine forces me to write alot more code than another one, but offers the same result, then I want to use the second one.

Quote:
However some of them are not very friendly or can't be instructed to do a specific thing

Or some of them are 'faster'

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!