3D Modeling Programming

Started by
3 comments, last by h4lu5 15 years ago
hello! i'm planning to develop a 3D modeling application like Maya, 3Ds Max, LW. i think, modeling application not like game engine, need powerfull speed. 1. which language to use for best result, C++ or C#? 2. OpenGl or DirectX? 3. please suggest me, a best book or link so i can learn about it. and please give the reasons. thanks
Advertisement
I'd use whichever language you are familiar with. The best results are more likely to be down to how you program it, rather than the language you choose to use.

If your familiar with OpenGL, use that. If your familiar with Direct X, use that.

I don't think you are going to find any books or tutorials on how to program a 3d modelling application. Unless I misunderstood, and your looking for help on learning openGL or DirectX, in which case a search on amazon will give you a handful of books with user reviews, and a search on google will give you lots of good tutorials.

If it is the case that you are looking to learn openGL or direct X, i'd concentrate on learning them properly before worrying about building your 3d modelling app.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but it was a pretty broad question!
Quote:
i think, modeling application not like game engine, need powerfull speed.

This is wrong; in fact, if anything it's likely to be the other way around. Modelling applications are typically far more concerned with rendering accuracy over rendering speed. They typically use extremely simple, low-grade real-time renderers for the viewports that artists actually work in, and switch to offline, slow-but-accurate renderers (ray tracers, often) for producing the final image.

Even if you intend to produce a modeller that is more about creating geometry than creating renders, there's no reason the renderer would need to be 'faster' than one in a game. It may in practice end up faster, but only because its generally simpler.

Quote:
1. which language to use for best result, C++ or C#?

The one you know best. There is absolutely nothing having to do with the language itself that will impact your results at this stage.

Quote:
2. OpenGl or DirectX?

The one you know best. OpenGL historically has seen more use in things like CAD applications than DirectX, and CAD applications are arguably more similar to modelling programs than games are. But its still down to which you know better and which you like better.

Quote:
3. please suggest me, a best book or link so i can learn about it.

There are no books on 'writing 3D modelling software in 21 days' or similar. There are books on general computer graphics theory -- is that what you want?
For realistic image synthesis (i.e. physically correct rendering (i.e. photo realistic rendering)), PBRT is the definite entry point (though I personally skimmed through scientific papers for years before finally affording the money for the book; and now it's laying around in my room and just grabbed every now and then). It has great chapters not only about monte carlo ray tracing, but also for example about sampling in general, filtering techniques, and many more. You should check that page, it also has an example chapter online.

A free renderer that is a fork of PBRT is Lux Render, which is GPL licensed.
thank's for all responses. i decide to use C++ and OpenGL.

Quote:There are books on general computer graphics theory -- is that what you want?
that is ok. i want that!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement