• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

more OpenGL books focusing on practicals like creating games ?

This topic is 3224 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

phew...I've just finished "Beginning OpenGL Game Programming" book and got a lot(really a lot) of both practical and theoretical experiences about 3D and games. But I know this is my first 3D book which is just an intro book and I still have to know much more about more advanced topics. Can someone tell me which books can teach me a bit more advance topics along with practicals like creating games or interesting program ? I can't find such kind of books(like the one above) and many are explaining theory parts only without having practices :( thanks in advance

Advertisement
There's "More OpenGL Game Programming."

In general you should not be wary of books that expound only on theory; in fact, you should prefer them. Books that cover practical issues tend to have a shorter shelf-life -- they become outdated quicker -- which reduces their value as an investment. Books on theory last longer; you get more bang for your buck.

If you want to explore practical issues, go out an practice. If you've read Beginning OpenGL Game Programming and understand the material you should be plenty prepared to go out and start building a simple 3D game on your own without hand-holding -- that is, unless you've never built programs more complex than "Hello World" before, in which case you're going to need to hold off on exploring more 3D graphics and concentrate on learning your language of choice and developing your fundamental skills.

Practicing writing software is the only way you're going to become better.

Quote:
Original post by jpetrie
Practicing writing software is the only way you're going to become better.

Exactly, you've shown the point what I needed to understand. That's how I've learned so far about C++, Java and other things in my past. Thanks jpetrie, and which theoretical books would you like to recommend anyway ?

If you really want awesome theoretical book on 3d game programming, Art of 3D Game Programming Gurus is nice - it was so theoretical it teaches you the math and understanding of 3d that you will pixel plot your way to 3d mastery. Yeah - no high level function will help you here.

It will not teach you OpenGL, but it will teach you about 3d and game programming.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement