• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

cryptography library

This topic is 3223 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, i need to learn something about the cryptography for my message system. I need to find a simple library to encrypt and decrypt the message. Anyone can help me?

Advertisement
Also, depending on what you are trying to achieve you may need completely different type of encryption (for example asymmetric key encryption).

TEA has real weaknesses pointed out in published papers; X-TEA is starting to show weakness (but it isn't yet "broken" AFAIK).

If you're doing encryption, you really should be using a carefully analyzed reference implementation of a widely deployed standard, such as the AES. Only if you have a real need for a different mechanism (such as speed or size constraints) and are prepared to take the hit if that mechanism turns out to not be as good as the standard, should you consider other mechanisms.

If you need symmetric encryption (which generally, you do not for networked systems), you should probably go with the AES algorithm, and make sure you implement it in a way that doesn't implement vulnerabilities (like keys getting paged to the swap file, etc). If you need some authentication hash code, you should probably go for SHA-192 or better, again making sure you implement it in a way that does not expose vulnerabilities.

Or, more likely, if you need security for your networked system, you should use SSL (which conveniently is available for free in the high-quality OpenSSL library, as well as part of the Win32 API). And if you need storage encryption, you should probably use the system-provided crypto libraries, rather than roll your own. Chances are, those who designed and implemented those systems know a lot more about it than you do :-)

If you are using C++ you might also want to look at the cross platform library Crypto++. It is FIPS validated (means its certified in the U.S by NIST) if you need that kind of assurance. It includes a wide range of encryption algorithms such as AES and RSA. The library is fairly easy to use but there are a lot of features so it seems overwhelming at first. I don't know if its speed will suit you but it claims to be fast.
One last note, the library (and probably most libraries) require that you have some knowledge of any encryption algorithm you plan to use. For example there are ways to use the AES algorithm and still not be very secure.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement