• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kaisellgren

No errors, but crashes ?!

This topic is 3407 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I am going nuts... I made a game (well it's under development :P) and I get no errors whatsoever in debugging mode and error list is empty too. (Also no warnings or messages either). The game works for me. But doesn't work for 3 of my friends. They have DirectX 9.0c and .NET Framework 3.5 so that cannot be the issue. They say they just get a message saying the application has crashed and will be closed (the regular vista/win7 message). What should I do? There's bunch of code and I have no errors myself so what to do?

Advertisement
Check that you're doing proper error handling. If you're using DirectX, you'll want to make sure you're checking the return value of every single function that creates a new object, returns a pointer, or fills in a struct for you with the SUCCEEDED macro.

I bet that you're not doing that and CreateDevice() is failing, leaving you with a null device pointer, which you then go on to use (Or any other pointer in your app).

Adding some logging will also help you track down where it's crashing. You could even use OutputDebugString() and then get your friends to download DebugView to view the output.

analyse the minidump, call stack trace, log file... Could be anything.

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/debug/postmortemdebug_standalone1.aspx

Quote:
Original post by oliii

How do I do those? I just started programming last week :P

Quote:
Original post by kaisellgren
Quote:
Original post by oliii

How do I do those? I just started programming last week :P

I've edited a link :)

output log strings and current progress to the debug output would be the first step.

analysing minidumps can be a bit fiddly, you need the right symbols, visual studio, ect...

But, it gives you a lot in return.

If you do a full screen program, could be that the resolution you use is not supported by their hardware.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!