Setting up SDL OpenGL Windows Info

Started by
3 comments, last by slanker70 15 years ago
Hi, Thank you for all the tutorials, it's been very helpful. I recenlty tried to follow the new tutorials with SDL and OpenGL with Code::Blocks, and I did managed to compile the first lesson. But what I'm still curious about is: 1. As mentioned in the tutorial, Code:Blocks has wizard to set up an SDL project straight away. Can somebody please explain how to link the needed libraries incase I wanted to set up a project that way. 2. And as for setting up a project for lesson 1, how can I do that if wanted to set up a new project and copy and paste the codes instead of using the existing project file. Should set up the project using console, windows or SDL application? 3. Finally somebody please help on how to set up SDL and OpenGL in OS X using Code::Blocks. Regards, Perdana Putra
Advertisement
Try looking at Lazy Foo's tutorials. They are quite up to date. The first one, "Setting up SDL", has instructions for a wide range of platforms and IDEs. Hopefully it will cover some or all of your questions.
Hi rip-off,

Thank you for your reply.

I have seen the tutorial at Lazyfoos, but the problem is there's no tutorial on how to actually set SDL and OpenGL in code::blocks.

I have manage to setup SDL and OpenGL with code::blocks on Linux Ubuntu, and I've also managed to set it up with Xcode in OS X.

My aim is to create a cross platform game engine, thus I choose code::blocks to make my life easier since I don't have to familiarise my self with all the different IDE UI and stuff. But I find it really difficult to set it up in windows with the exception of using the existing project file from Nehe SDL OpenGL tutorial lesson 1.

As for setting it up in the OS X, haven't started it yet but so need the help :)

Regards,

Perdana Putra
One way to do cross platform development is not to choose a cross platform IDE. It is to choose cross platform libraries and try to be careful not to code in a compiler or platform dependant manner. You develop on your primary platform with the IDE of your choice and then use simpler tools on the other systems.

The last few times I ported software I had written I simply copying the source onto the new platform, mucking through until I got a simple command line build system working (something like scons can help) and then just editing any source that needs to change in a simple text editor.

I have ported a couple of small to medium sized codebases like this. As long as adequate care was taken during coding I found it took less than a day's work to get a build on a foreign platform. Usually most of the time is spent downloading and configuring the correct libraries and deciphering unfamiliar C++ errors (usually nasty template related ones [sick]).

But to each his own [smile]

In a tangential point, are you sure you are up to building a game engine? Its just that someone who cannot manually configure their IDE tends to be on the beginner side of things (though not always). I hope you have read this.
Hi rip-off,

I'm building a game engine for my final project at Uni, the reason I chose to build one is to practice my coding in terms of OOP design approach.

I do believe I have enough familiarity regarding SDL and OpenGL (both cross platform libraries).

I have completed about 1/4 of the engine (window, input, texture, 3D model etc.), using Visual Studio. Recently I've also managed to port the coded to linux (code::blocks) and OS X (Xcode) with some tutorials from the web which is actually quite straight forward fro both IDE (and of course with some minor codes adjustments) and it worked fine.

But I decided to use code::blocks for all platform as the main IDE because I think it would save me a lot of time (done have to do codes adjustments, such as the #if defined (__APPLE__) && (__MACH__) is already defined when I set up a new SDL project (in the linux version of code::blocks).

Reading this book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cross-Platform-Game-Development-Developers/dp/159822056X/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240422230&sr=8-3

also encouraged me to do so.

But the problem (as I've explained in my first post) the tutorial from the book for windows is just not working for some reason unlike for the linux, and I've tried some other tutorials on the web also before following NeHe's.

But I do understand where you're coming from and please if you can have some more input I'd be more than glad to take in on board.

So please any idea how to set it up in windows (other than using nehe's lesson 1 project file)and mac.

Regards,

Perdana Putra

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement