Make iPhone Apps on a PC

Started by
46 comments, last by Ravyne 14 years, 11 months ago
What's the legal stance of buying a copy of OSX then running it in VM?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by eedok
What's the legal stance of buying a copy of OSX then running it in VM?

It is against the Leopard Server TOS to use on none apple hardware, for other versions it is against the TOS even using apple hardware.

I found it easier just to suck it up and buy a Macbook pro and then duel boot Vista with Boot Camp.

theTroll
Maybe you could check eBay for some sort of cheap old Mac, and use Mac to compile?
Yea I use a mac mini. It's more than powerful enough for iPhone development. Anything more than that is overkill.
Quote:Original post by Dave Hunt
Quote:Original post by Eagle11
Well, that kinda stinks. I don't have $1300 to spend on a mac... oh well.

The Mac Mini is $599 and you can use your existing monitor, mouse and keyboard. Of course, if you don't have $599, you're still sunk. ;-)

Yeah, it looks like I might have to get a macmini myself since my powerpc mac powerbook also isn't supported for iphone development!
You need to have an Intel based Mac I believe at least that's what it told me last time I tried to use the iphone devkit.

[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Firstly, it's not illegal to make an iPhone app on Windows... chist, I mean we are living in a free country after all. However, you would have to use a hacked toolchain (that's very difficult to get working) and Apple won't publish your game on appstore.
What you can do is buy a copy of OS X and install it on you PC (known as a hackintosh). This is 100% legal - despite what apple says.
Quote:Original post by captainfreedom
Firstly, it's not illegal to make an iPhone app on Windows... chist, I mean we are living in a free country after all.

Nobody said it was.
Quote:Original post by captainfreedomWhat you can do is buy a copy of OS X and install it on you PC (known as a hackintosh). This is 100% legal - despite what apple says.

Unless you are a lawyer, it might be best not to give legal advice. If you are a lawyer, you should know better than to give legal advice.

With a Mac Mini, could I plug it into my laptop and run mac, then restart and run windows whenever I wanted?
No.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement