I dont know any mongolians.

Started by
24 comments, last by speciesUnknown 12 years, 4 months ago

[quote name='speciesUnknown' timestamp='1240832628' post='533066']
Thanks to my job selling burgers, which I only quit last year, I've met a huge variety of people in person. I've worked with kurds, arabs, asians afticans, north americans south americans and europeans I also went to a very mixed college, lived with pakistanis, poles, africans, south americans, north americans.Thanks to the internet ive also had conversations with israelies, palistinians (sometimes at the same time with interesting results)But I never met anybody from mongolia. I've not worked with a Mongolian, lived with a Mongolian, or chatted with a Mongolian on IRC.Where are all the mongolians? It's as if they only live in Mongolia or something. I feel they are very under-represented.[edit]Just to clarify - im aware that mongolia is in asia. The thing that puzzles me is that you can name nearly any country you like, and I can think of somebody I know or used to know who is from that country. Mongolia is an exception, despite its size and population count.

Hey we Mongolians are everywhere ^.^

[color="#1c2837"]Why is it important to meet someone from Mongolia?

Have you met any Mongolians?

[/quote]

Wait wait, i'm a lil confused here, you quote someone saying he's surprised he's never met a mongolian and you ask him if . . . he's ever met a mongolian?
Advertisement
So I actually got curious and wandered off to the great big internet in the sky:
The 2001 UK Census showed that a meer 299 Mongolian-born people were residing in the UK, however this figure of a few hundred is thought to have increased to several thousand in the space of a decade.[1] To be precise, community leaders and the Mongolian Embassy have put the figure at between 5,000 and 7,000.[1][2] Within the UK, the overwhealming majority of Mongolians reside in Greater London with 2009 estimates placing at least 5,000 Mongolians in the British capital, the Mongolian community of Manchester follows which is 400 to 500 members strong (up from 72 Mongolian-born residents in 2001).[1] Newcastle upon Tyne is thought to be home to 100 Mongolians whilst between 60 and 70 reside in Leicester and no greater than 60 call Bradford home. An investigation by the International Organization for Migration also found evidence of a number of Mongolians also residing in Brighton, Liverpool, Milton Keynes, Nottingham and the university towns of Cambridge, Oxford, Dundee and Cardiff.[1][/quote]I think that suggests that the total number of Mongolians near you in in the dozens, optimistically. If you work out the odds on meeting one, I think they come out comparable to a lottery jackpot.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Holy thread necromancing batman.

I remember when this thread was new. These just keep popping up from time to time, ey?
"I will personally burn everything I've made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames."
~ Gabe
"I don't mean to rush you but you are keeping two civilizations waiting!"
~ Cavil, BSG.
"If it's really important to you that other people follow your True Brace Style, it just indicates you're inexperienced. Go find something productive to do."
[size=2]~ Bregma

"Well, you're not alone.

There's a club for people like that. It's called Everybody and we meet at the bar[size=2].

"

[size=2]~

[size=1]Antheus

Holy thread necromancing batman.

I remember when this thread was new. These just keep popping up from time to time, ey?

LOL what's great is I was going to post about my friend's experience but then saw that I had already done so 2 years ago.
Welcome back Owl!

O wait... :'(
WTF this thread stopped 2 years ago why did you necro it?

I still havn't met any mongolians though.

did I mention, this thread stopped 2 years ago?
Don't thank me, thank the moon's gravitation pull! Post in My Journal and help me to not procrastinate!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement