Sign in to follow this  
Shadowwoelf

DevIL.dll not found?

Shadowwoelf    136
I keep getting a "this application has failed to start because DevIL.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." Even though I thought that I did everything correctly. Any help on trying to figure out this problem would be appreciated.

Promit    13246
Your program can't find DevIL.dll. Is it in the same directory as your EXE? If not, that would be why it is unable to find it.

Shadowwoelf    136
Well I thought that all I had to do was correctly point the files to where the devil.dll was located. Not literally put the file in the same folder as all my other .h,.cpp files.

Chadwell    130
If you are trying to distribute your application and running it from the .exe file, then the dll has to be in directory of the .exe file.

If it worked while running it from the compiler, than the setup you did probably just linked in the location of the dll needed, but you didn't actually move it to the correct directory. If the .exe works on your computer but not on someone else's computer, than the setup you did either placed the location of the dll you need in the system path, or it placed it in the system32 folder, which would allow programs on your computer to find the dll but if you tried to run it on a computer that didn't have said installations it would be unable to find it.

Shadowwoelf    136
Okay, but I am simply confused since I am trying to run the debug the file in visual c++ 2008 express and I get that error.

I went to tools->options->projects and solutions->vc++ directories

Include files-> \Desktop\New Folder\Projects\Lesson33\DevIL-SDK-x86-1.7.8

for Library files-> \Desktop\New Folder\Projects\Lesson33\DevIL-SDK-x86-1.7.8\lib

I managed to fix the error by including the devil.dll right into

\Desktop\New Folder\Projects\Lesson33
folder. Where all my .h,.cpp files are located.