Inverse scaling, how to do it?

Started by
5 comments, last by eb_dev 14 years, 11 months ago
Hi, I'm working on a flash map at the moment, I have a map movieclip with points of interest movieclips within it, when I scale the map up or down the POI scale down or up as expected. What I would like to do is keep them the same size, I thought that I could just scale the points the opposite amount of what I scaled the map but this doesn't provide the right result as the amount the points are scaled is different when applied to them individually as opposed to when they are scaled with the map. What I need is some maths for scaling the points inversely to the amount the map is scaled, does anyone know how to do this? I'm also trying to learn more about geometry and how it applies to flash so please be as verbose as possible. Thanks! eb_dev
Advertisement
If you want to keep them the same size, and not scaling them at all isn't an option, then scale them by (1/scaleValue) to return them to their initial size.
Hi Winegums thanks for your reply.

Yes I want to keep the points of interest the same size but the same position on the map also as the map movieclip is scaled up or down.

I'm not sure I follow what you mean, are you saying that I should do the following:

point_of_interest._width = point_of_interest._width * (1 / scaleValue) ?

What is this actually doing? You'll have to forgive me, I really struggle visualising this stuff properly.

Thanks

eb_dev
Hi Winegums thanks for your reply.

Yes I want to keep the points of interest the same size but the same position on the map also as the map movieclip is scaled up or down.

I'm not sure I follow what you mean, are you saying that I should do the following:

point_of_interest._width = point_of_interest._width * (1 / scaleValue) ?

What is this actually doing? You'll have to forgive me, I really struggle visualising this stuff properly.

Thanks

eb_dev
Scaling by 1/scaleValue returns the number to its original value.

ie x * 1/x = 1, so multiplying something by scaleValue then 1/scaleValue is analogous to multiplying your something by 1 (assuming scaleValue isn't zero).

eg

float x = 5.0f;float scaleValue = 2.0f;x = x * scaleValue;   //x now equals 10x = x * (1.0f/scaleValue) // x = x * (1.0f/2.0f)    ... (1.0f/2.0f) = 0.5f//so //x = x * 0.5  -> x = 10 * 0.5 -> x = 5 ...which is what we started with

I would imagine you could do the same thing to the positions.
Several possibilities (but notice that I'm less familiar with Flash):

(1) Attach the POIs as children to the map and scale the whole thing. Due to the attachment, the position as well as the size of the POIs will be effected. The re-positioning is wanted, but the resizing not. So un-resize the POI individually each one multiplying their width and height by 1/scale. (EDIT: This is in fact what Winegums already has mentioned. /EDIT)

(2) Scale the map without the POIs already attached. Compute the new position of each individual POI as
x' := x * scale
y' := y * scale
and attach the POI using this corrected position (here x and y are the position co-ordinates in the unscaled map, of course).

For both methods the origin of the POI markers should be located in their centers.
Ah I see that's made scaling alot clearer now, I think my zoom function is working correctly now. Very much appreciated!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement