Base Knowlege for Development.

Started by
2 comments, last by RamonLion 14 years, 11 months ago
So I'm just in the process of planning a full scale video game and I want to know all the elements I'm going to need to know about to properly manage every aspect of it development. I'm gunna be gathering a team of people for it who knows everything they need to to do their job, but I want to know everything needed to be sure I have everyone I need and all the resources I need. What are all the engines that are compatible with next gen consoles? I already know of FMOD as a sound engine and Unreal Engine 3. What are all the job places that need to be filled to establish a fully functional team? I have: Animator Character Modeler Composer Concept Artist Engine Programmer Environment Artist FX Artist Gameplay Programmer Level Designer Object Modeler Texture Artist Writer What of those jobs should be more or less specific? What is the average people get payed in the gaming industry? And finally is there anything else I should know about the process of developing games? I hope this isn't too large a thread. I am a born gamer seeking to start something rather than sit around doing nothing with myself and I have some knowledge on the creation of games and other things, but I'm hoping to get information without my assumptions so I can get a better understanding of it all.
Advertisement
It looks like you just joined the forums today, so I'm going to assume you haven't checked around the forum itself for answers to a lot of your questions (they come up a lot), but one great resource you might want to check out is Tom Sloper's website as he has a huge FAQ section that goes into multiple aspects of the game development scene.

Also, the search bar in the upper right can probably get you information faster than waiting on responses here, like I mentioned before most of your questions have been discussed in depth in previous threads.

The most common advice you'll probably find, though, (assuming you don't have much experience in game development) is to start small: a small team and small projects to get a feel for the process and the roadblocks.

Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX (gathering dust, retained for... historical purposes)
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too (also pretty neglected these days)

If you do not possess any skills then no one will need you to make a game but you will need them. Learn to do something useful and after you have mastered your craft then you should ask these questions.
Remember Codeka is my alternate account, just remember that!
Quote:Original post by BCullis
It looks like you just joined the forums today, so I'm going to assume you haven't checked around the forum itself for answers to a lot of your questions (they come up a lot), but one great resource you might want to check out is Tom Sloper's website as he has a huge FAQ section that goes into multiple aspects of the game development scene.

Also, the search bar in the upper right can probably get you information faster than waiting on responses here, like I mentioned before most of your questions have been discussed in depth in previous threads.

The most common advice you'll probably find, though, (assuming you don't have much experience in game development) is to start small: a small team and small projects to get a feel for the process and the roadblocks.

Thanks BCullis that link is definitely a good direction for the knowledge I'm looking for.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement