Sign in to follow this  
LordCover

Programming in DX9 with C#.Net 2008

LordCover    122
Hi I've been for 3 years on/off with Game Programming, these days I'm having my wake of the month :) my question is: What DXSDK should I use (I want a download link) to program in C#.Net 2008? thanks. LORD COVER GOOD BYTE

Ravyne    14300
XNA is fine, but SlimDX is another option.

XNA is slightly higher-level than the old MDX was (MDX is, of course, no longer supported, and no longer distributed as part of the DirectX SDK or runtimes.) It can be made to support other .net languages, but C# is the only "official" language and the content pipeline is essentially tied to C#. The biggest advantage of XNA is that it is (mostly) cross platform with the Xbox 360, allowing you to create and publish games to the community games section of Xbox live marketplace (a liscence to test/publish code on a real 360 is $100/year.)

SlimDX is an initiative started and led by members of this forum which aims to expose the gaming and multimedia features of Windows through a very thin, very consistant .NET interface. It exposes Direct3D 9, Direct3D 10, DirectInput, XInput, and XAudio, among others, and, if you have access to the Windows 7 beta, even has preview support for Direct3D 11, DirectWrite, and Direct2D. It isn't tied to any particular .net language, though C# is the most common language for examples and such.

If you're targetting PC only, and are coming from a native DirectX or MDX background, then SlimDX is well worth considering, and would certainly be my choice.