Simple card game question

Started by
6 comments, last by Ratmil 14 years, 11 months ago
Hi to all members. I am planning to make a simple cards game for Windows, something like Hearts. I would like sugestions. Do I use DirectX for such a simple game? Do I use Windows GDI? In case of using Windows GDI? What's the best way to show animations (a card flying from players hand to table, for example)? A thread or a windows timer? Please help me. Thanks in advanced.
Advertisement
First, what programming do you want to use? C++? C#? Java? Python? Personally I recommend C#. It's got a whole lot of nice tools (named XNA) that makes making games pretty easy (well, easier than some other languages/libraries).
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
XNA with C# would be a good choice as MikeTacular suggested. Python with PyGame would be another choice that you could use.

I wrote this game: Speedy Solitaire in C++ using the PopCap framework, although at the time XNA did not exist.

One thing that might help is to look into the stack data structure: Stack_(data_structure)

Good luck :) .
Hi, all.
Thanks for your suggestions.
I was thinking to use C++, but I can go with C#. I want somethink as light as posible so it is easy to download and run (no setup required).
I would like to know a few things about PopCap framework and XNA, if you are so kind to tell me, like:
- Size of the framework.
- Type of license (commercial or open source).

Once again, thank you very much for your help.
XNA is pretty much free unless you plan on developing for the XBOX 360. You might take a look at C# How to Program by Deitel and deitel http://www.amazon.com/How-Program-Harvey-M-Deitel/dp/0130622214

You will also want to check out the XNA Creator's Club http://creators.xna.com/

The book should have some examples involving a card game that could provide some insite into the logic that would go into your game. It'll also provide you with a solid foundation in C# that will help you with XNA.
IMO XNA is overkill for something as simple as a card game, plus it will make distribution harder. If you want to use C# and don't need any 3D, then I'd recommend using GDI+ for this.
I guess Scet is right.
And the .net framework is multiplatform. I wonder how many Linux distributions have it installed.
And about the timer or thread issue?
What do you think?
Is a thread to much for such short animations?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement