[.net] C# dx9 2009 SDK directx directinput

Started by
7 comments, last by melfesto 14 years, 11 months ago
Hi all, I am new to the forums and just had a trying to get the hang of DX9 in C#. I have programmed before in C++ and i have a ok knowing of c#. I wanted to know if there is any tutorials for just a simple app to aquire a keyboard and just output it to a form text boc or a pic box the keys that are being pressed. I am using VS 2008 and have the latest SDK pack from 2009. Any help would be a giant + . Thanks all in advance and happy coding.
Advertisement
http://slimdx.org/
Assuming you have a standard Windows form, handle its KeyPress event for text input or its KeyUp/KeyDown events for general keyboard input. You may need to override the IsInputKey/IsInputChar methods.

You can use DirectInput for the keyboard and mouse, but Microsoft dissuade you from doing so.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

Quote:Original post by benryves
You can use DirectInput for the keyboard and mouse, but Microsoft dissuade you from doing so.
Mandatory rant on the subject.
I didn't realise he was after basic keyboard input. DirectInput is only recommended for joystick input. Standard Windows Forms have events to read input as benryves pointed out. If you do want to do anything DirectX related then check out SlimDX.
thanks guys for your info i will check into that slimD. I wanted to use directX because i want to start getting into that more. I picked up a few books but there examples are out dated and dont compile or have loads of errors. I see alot of threads on XNA but i dont think i want to go that rout because its like they give you everything all rapped up in there own .libs and stuff i kinda want to be able to learn how everything works rather then have it given to me.
Ok i still having some problems getting some info on this i checked out the slimDX and its like XNA in a sense that they have there own special .lib you have to use I know it would probably be good to just use it and no reinvent the wheel but I Kinda wanted to do things from scratch. Anyone have any input on this or point me to a working tutorial or documenation. Just trying to get a simple form up that will create a device aquire it and output what keys are pressed.
No, there are no tutorials on doing interop with DirectX in order to make use of DirectInput. You can always make use of the DX SDK documentation. You do have the DX SDK, right?
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX
yes i have the SDK for the april 2009 I will have to look into that again they are a bit vague.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement