Question about istream::get() and delimiting character

Started by
4 comments, last by dmatter 14 years, 11 months ago
how does get() work with a delimiting character? I tryed ifstream is; chat str[256]; is.get(str,','); cout<<str; it just prints the whole file instead of stoping at the first ',' Why is that? then I tyred ifstream is; chat str[256]; is.get(str,30,','); cout<<str; and it looks like it just prints randomly.Besides that the string can be any size becasues its a file name
Advertisement
Only the three argument overload of istream::get() uses a delimiter. When you call the two argument function with ',' as a second argument it actually converts ',' to its numeric value and uses that as the length of the buffer.
Thanks that makes since.
so in this example

{1,2)

I want to start reading at the '{'
and stop reading at the ',' then continue reading tell '}'
so 1 will go to var1 and 2 will go to var2.

or in this one
{bitmap.bmp,bitmapmask}

or this one
{0}

I want to be able to start reading from '{'
and if a ','aperas then I know there is two or moer varibles on that line
and they end at '}'

I can get the first varible but not sure how to get more then that using

is.get(str,256,',');

thanks for the help
I almost have the solustion

this is what I got so far

d = mInputFile.peek();                      if(d =='{')                 {                             mInputFile.get(str,256,',');                   cout<<str+1<<endl;                    mInputFile.get(str,256,'}');                   cout<<str+1<<endl;                 }           

I just need a way to see if there is and extra ',' with an unknown amout of data to the next one

for example

{12,33343,1}
I know how to get the first one but how can I test for the second one? becasue it wont always be there
Quote:Original post by kingpinzs
Besides that the string can be any size becasues its a file name

Then use an actual string. That way, you don't have to worry about sizes.

ifstream is;string str;getline(is, str, ',');cout << str;

Notice this is the free function std::getline, not the member function .getline() of the stream object.
You could look into the boost tokenizer for this.

As for a purely SC++L solution I think your proposed method looks a bit complicated and not particularly robust; I'd probably do it this way:

#include <iostream>#include <string>#include <sstream>#include <algorithm>#include <functional>#include <limits>int main(){    // using a string stream simply to represent your file    std::istringstream file("... { foo,bar, baz , qux} ...");    // eat text till '{'    file.ignore(std::numeric_limits<std::streamsize>::max(), '{');        // read text till '}'    std::string text;    std::getline(file, text, '}');    // replace commas with whitespace so that only whitespace separates tokens    std::replace_if(text.begin(), text.end(), std::bind2nd(std::equal_to<char>(), ','), ' ');    // extract tokens to output stream, but it could be to a std::vector or something    std::istringstream tokens(text);    std::copy(std::istream_iterator<std::string>(tokens),              std::istream_iterator<std::string>(),              std::ostream_iterator<std::string>(std::cout, "\n"));}
The limitation here is that you can't have spaces, they get treated like commas, but you seem to be avoiding spaces anyway.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement