Sign in to follow this  
MyH34DHurtz

oh No..

MyH34DHurtz    122
ok, last time i programmed was in college - Doing VB, a tiny piece of C++ and other basic languages (PAscal for instance). That was *cough* a few years ago, and I want to get back into the groove.. I've spoken to a few friends who are software engineers, and they have told me that C++, although would be a good place to start, c# is alot better (However slower) for game design. Just wondering where was the best place to start?

benryves    1999
C# with XNA would be one option; Python with pygame another. Both should be relatively easy to pick up and allow you to write games quickly.

BCullis    1955
If you're learning either from the ground up, I'd suggest C# w/ XNA for speed of deployment. Automatic memory management alone will help solve a lot of elusive leaks.

If you're concerned about the potential inadequacies of managed code, the C++ vs C# topic has been covered extensively, and the short answer always seems to be: you won't be able to write code that can show a significant difference anytime soon, if at all.

vetroXL    295
Quote:
Original post by MyH34DHurtz
I've spoken to a few friends who are software engineers, and they have told me that C++, although would be a good place to start, c# is alot better (However slower) for game design.

Just wondering where was the best place to start?

Well, it's not really that much slower. I doubt your first game will need the extra "little" speed that C++ will give you. I just ported my directx10 C++ based code to XNA and I am very impressed.

vetroXL    295
Quote:
Original post by BCullis
If you're learning either from the ground up, I'd suggest C# w/ XNA for speed of deployment. Automatic memory management alone will help solve a lot of elusive leaks.

If you're concerned about the potential inadequacies of managed code, the C++ vs C# topic has been covered extensively, and the short answer always seems to be: you won't be able to write code that can show a significant difference anytime soon, if at all.

DOH! Beat me by 50 seconds.