Interesting article and discussion about game music

Started by
37 comments, last by nsmadsen 14 years, 11 months ago
Quote:Original post by JonahSM1
Quote:Original post by nsmadsen
Thorough thrashing... have a nice day :)

Where is this quote from? A search for "nice" and for "thrashing" only brings up your citation of this quote. On the actual article page there are no results for "thrashing" whatsoever. If this is in response to my reaction to your points (posted above) that is hardly a "thrashing" let alone a thorough one. :P I kept things respectful and professional.

Please do not quote me with this I haven't said but feel more than free to use what I HAVE said. :) After all, that can be misleading and is not really cool.

Thanks,

Nathan

[Edited by - nsmadsen on May 4, 2009 9:23:21 AM]

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Advertisement
It was a paraphrase. I meant to indicate that I was replying to you without quoting your whole post. This is a convention of another large forum that I frequent (short, exaggerated paraphrase with a slightly silly reinterpretation.) I apologize for the confusion.
My interpretation as a 'thrashing' was in the context of intellectual discussion (where thrashings are typically very polite and professional), and was a reaction on my part to how I perceived what had occurred, i.e.
Me: (Paraphrased) "I agree with the ideas in the article that you presented that music is generally of less quality than before."
You: (Paraphrased) "Let me show you all of the ways that your logic is flawed, etc..."
In essence, since I assumed everyone in this thread would be agreeing with the ideas in the article, I meant only to post a sort of 'me too!' comment, and did not put forward any kind of logical argument. Being that I did not present an argument, I did not expect to be rebutted so soundly. Receiving such a rebuttal to something that had not been prepared in a logically sound manner then typecasts my original statement as an attempt at intellectual discussion, and thus reflects negatively on my person, implying that I was simply making an emotionally derived argument, and was completely ignorant of such phenomena as distortions by the lens of time.

Sorry to produce so much confusion both times that I posted, and I hope we can move on and continue to discuss this topic without further misunderstanding.
Quote:I apologize for the confusion.

Totally cool. No offense taken, I was more confused than anything else. More like "Did I say that? I didn't think I typed that."

Quote:In essence, since I assumed everyone in this thread would be agreeing with the ideas in the article, I meant only to post a sort of 'me too!' comment, and did not put forward any kind of logical argument.

Interesting. I state that I didn't agree with all of the author's stances in the first sentence. Also since many (not all but many) of the comments thrown in after the article don't agree with it 100% so I wonder why you thought this.

Quote:Sorry to produce so much confusion both times that I posted, and I hope we can move on and continue to discuss this topic without further misunderstanding.

Totally cool. Perhaps I'm a bit defensive because of this article, however I strive to bring reason and logic to my points. Many of the pros I've talked with were also somewhat insulted by this article and I do find the author's arguments somewhat weak and subjective at times. But I found the overall discussion coming out of this article (both on the gamasutra page and here) very beneficial. I know game music can continue to evolve and improve. I want to it, after all because I'm in this field! :)

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Interesting. I state that I didn't agree with all of the author's stances in the first sentence. Also since many (not all but many) of the comments thrown in after the article don't agree with it 100% so I wonder why you thought this.

My reasoning was that 1. When you say that you 'don't agree with all of' something, it implies that you generally agree, or at least agree with some of it. 2. The majority of the replies to the article that I read, including the one that you specified as one you liked, seemed to me to mostly agree with the general tone of the article. 3. As I stated in one of my previous posts, I've had many discussions recently about the state of game music with various gamers and composers, and they overwhelmingly agreed with my stated positions.

If I may ask, which points in the original article do you agree/not agree with? Do you think that there is not a general boringness to modern game soundtracks? Also, what are some games from the current generation that you think do have 'inspired' music? (These questions are open to anybody.)
Quote:My reasoning was that 1. When you say that you 'don't agree with all of' something, it implies that you generally agree, or at least agree with some of it. 2. The majority of the replies to the article that I read, including the one that you specified as one you liked, seemed to me to mostly agree with the general tone of the article. 3. As I stated in one of my previous posts, I've had many discussions recently about the state of game music with various gamers and composers, and they overwhelmingly agreed with my stated positions.

I do agree with some points the author makes (see below). Going through the comments I see many comments that draw criticism with the author's argument, calling it either weak or not well documented. Several composers have pointed out that often times we're told by the developer what exactly to write. This is why many composers have been asking for more faith and for developers/publishers to take more risks. I saw more than just a few posts pointing out which games of the past two generations had great, iconic music. I saw several references to Video Games Live, and the two co-creators of this concert chimed in as well. So I don't see an environment where 100% of everyone agrees with this author. You feel that I agree, overall, with the author but I don't. I agree with his push for even more creativity! This is something we should always strive for! This continual pushing of the envelope should never stop. But I disagree with his stance that there has been an absence of creativity (as well as melody) in the past two generations. Has there been some crap? Sure. There will always been some in any industry. But there have also been some amazing titles put out there.

Quote:If I may ask, which points in the original article do you agree/not agree with? Do you think that there is not a general boringness to modern game soundtracks?

I agree with the general push for more creativity and having developers/publishers/composers take more risks. I also agree that there was some great video game music written back in the 8-bit and 16-bit days. I do think there are video games released with crappy music, just like there are games released with terrible graphics or sub par game play. I also agree with his comparison to the level of detail and intricacy in current gen games vs. old "stomp n jump" games. I also love his comment developers/publishers about having a bit more faith in their composers!

Quote:Also, what are some games from the current generation that you think do have 'inspired' music? (These questions are open to anybody.)

No, I don't think there is a general boringness to modern game soundtracks.

Well, I just got a 360 last month, so I haven't been involved with the current gen for very long. Plus on top of this I've been traveling during last month and this month (in fact I am right now) so I haven't gotten as much playing time in as I'd like. BioShock has some great music (speaking about the original score). Oblivion has a nice title theme as well as some good in-game music. Going back to the PS2 (and others) generation: God of War has an extremely good score. Metal Gear Solid (the later games were scored by an American composer) has some awesome, very impactful music. I loved the Ratchet and Clank series on the PS2 and PSP. Great, fun music. Sly Cooper has some good music, a nice interactive (but smooth) system and a red thread that helps keep the game's identity happening. The Riven and Myst scores by Jack Wall are very strong. Halo is a strong contender.

Now let me ask you a question: Do you believe there have been zero games out there in the last two generations (and this current one) that have an effective score? If so, how do you explain the ever increasing focus on video game soundtracks (both in retail sales and in concert venues)? There are numerous concerts that are selling out world wide and many of these concerts feature modern video game scores. (Side note, it feels funny to use the word modern when speaking about games that only came out 20 some odd years ago.) More and more composers are seeking this work in this industry. Film score buffs are now being contracted out for video games in between film projects. Now, it's true that a job is a job... but I haven't seen an influx of composers dying to get into the soap opera industry! Nor have soap opera scores garnered much attention by the composing world or the mass public. Video game music has. So there is something there that is making customers pay money to listen to the music and attend concerts. There is something there for other composers to feel that they can make a good career and good music in the games industry.

Thanks,

Nathan

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Now let me ask you a question: Do you believe there have been zero games out there in the last two generations (and this current one) that have an effective score?

By the last two generations, do you mean PS2/Gamecube/Xbox and PSX/N64-era generations? If so, some of my absolute favorite soundtracks would fall under those categories. My frustration is with the current generation (PS3/360/Wii). To answer your question specifically for the current generation, no, I don't believe that there are zero games with good scores. There are games with scores that I have enjoyed, but they have either been from franchises that have always had good music or from indie games. Where the problem comes in is in new big-budget games from the multitude of new developers that have sprung up. The number of games being produced has gone up, but the number of games with good scores has not increased proportionally, leading to a higher ratio of bad to good scores.
Yes, I mean the PS1 and PS2 generations as well as this current generation. Like I said before, I cannot speak with total authority about this current gen since I've had limited exposure to it. This will change as I get more time to play my 360 and get more games.

The author states:
Quote:Original post by Brandon Sheffield
I can hardly remember the themes of any American game titles from the last two console generations, even in cases where melody would be warranted.

So by last two generations I'm assuming he means the PS1 and PS2 generations as well. Otherwise he'd say something like "the last and current generation..." but I could be mistaken. :)

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Without reading all the posts here I agree "somewhat"

There has always been bad music, it was just bad in other ways. There is some amazing music coming out and I think there is an integrity in game music. Gee I look to other music industries, what I hear on the radio makes me sick. Over produced garbage with robot voices. That's part of what really draws me to game audio, I don't feel that is required and I feel there is some great stuff coming out in the games world.

That said gee there is alot of generic semi or virtual orchestrated game scores coming out :S Way more of that than any thing else. And when there is something else like dark rock in a game for example, often it lacks balls.

I would like to have a bit more risk in game music so we can hear some more stuff, and honestly a bit less generic orchestrated mockups!! Over it. More rock, more electronica, more interesting & creative mix mashs of genres! If the producers and composers could unite that would be great.

Actually that isn't really coming out right. If orchestrated mockups is your strength, then fantastic! But composers, please put effort into finding "your own voice". Try to be flexible in your music to find work but also try to really find "your thang"

Music is arguably my first love ahead of computer games, but I do think that music just is not as important to a game as musicians would like to believe or would hope for. Of course, everybody would like to hear better music - just as we'd like everything to be better - but that's not the same as arguing that games somehow require better music. We remember great music from great games but that is probably as much halo effect as anything - few people remember great music from poor games. The vast majority of people don't play games for the music, whereas they do play for the graphics, sadly. Musicians mustn't fool themselves into thinking they are as important to the game as the designers or programmers, just as a programmer who made a VST instrument mustn't fool himself into thinking that he's as important as the musician who used it to record a track.

Another interesting pseudo-paradox is that the more important audio is to a game, the more likely that a player is going to turn the in-game music off, to avoid it interfering with gameplay by masking sound effects. Heavily audio-based games like the Thief series get around this by having very subtle ambient sound that barely qualifies as music, but that would not suit most composers.

I also totally disagree with this quote: "The fact that there are lots of great musicians out there willing to do work at cut rate deals isn't a good thing. That's a sign of how bad things are. That opens the doors for abuse by continuing to underpay those few lucky musicians who manage to get a gig. If the trend continues, newer generations of composers will dwindle."

In any popular creative area you will always get a pyramid of practitioners with far more amateurs at the bottom than experts at the top. And in all cases, the people at the very top command the big money and the people at the bottom are often working for free to prove themselves. Artists put stuff on DeviantArt or similar sites, programmers work on mods, directors put fan-films on YouTube, models do time-for-prints deals with photographers, prospective journalists are writing blogs, etc. This is a natural phenomenon of the wish to break into a competitive area.

If the presence of free music is driving down prices for the better music, then the better music obviously isn't offering enough perceived added value. That's not abuse, it's market forces. If someone can write music that is 75% as good as yours but charges 1/10th of the price, that's your problem, not the industry's. Getting snobby about it and wishing amateurs would play by your rules in order to inflate the wages of professionals is foolish at best. Composers like to think they've earned the right to be paid properly for their work. But the process of earning that right involves starting at that same point and attempting to build your skills and your brand. That's what these people are doing and it's no sign whatsoever of things being 'bad'.

The people who are really good at what they do are having little trouble with funding. I have a singer friend who was flown out from DC to California, all expenses paid, to record for a single day at Skywalker Sound for a forthcoming computer game. That doesn't sound like a low audio budget to me.

Ultimately the value of music to a game is only partly down to the quality of the music - it's also down to the kind of game it has to work with. The nature of the medium can deflate the importance of music to a point where it is lower than an equivalent composition in film. If a composer doesn't like that then they have the option of writing for a different medium.

Finally, the idea that composers will dwindle if the cash supply reduces is laughable. These multitudes of people offering 'cut-price' deals aren't doing it in the hopes of getting rich. They're doing it in the hopes of getting a job doing something that they love. They already love it even though breaking into the industry is very difficult and making a living more difficult still. CD sales are down too but there are still millions of bands writing and recording all the time. It's not like physics or electrical engineering where you can't do much without a rigorous education and expensive laboratories and workshops, where a lack of funds would have a terminal effect on development. Creation of art is not dependent on wages, it's dependent on cost, and the cost of making music is dropping. I appreciate some professionals may not like this but the trend is not going to reverse, so they will have to get used to it.

Sorry for the rant!
Quote:Original post by Kylotan
Musicians mustn't fool themselves into thinking they are as important to the game as the designers or programmers, just as a programmer who made a VST instrument mustn't fool himself into thinking that he's as important as the musician who used it to record a track.

I don't think most are thinking this. Most are just reacting to this author's stance that there has been practically no music with a decent melody in any American video game over the last two generations. Not that we have to be viewed as the most important.

Another interesting pseudo-paradox is that the more important audio is to a game, the more likely that a player is going to turn the in-game music off, to avoid it interfering with gameplay by masking sound effects. Heavily audio-based games like the Thief series get around this by having very subtle ambient sound that barely qualifies as music, but that would not suit most composers.

I have no issue with this. In fact, I addressed this earlier saying that as more and more sound technology and techniques make it into video games the less music has to be ever presenting, looping continuously into infinity. Music, itself, has changed roles from a constant to a more cue approach. I think this is a good thing.

In any popular creative area you will always get a pyramid of practitioners with far more amateurs at the bottom than experts at the top. And in all cases, the people at the very top command the big money and the people at the bottom are often working for free to prove themselves. Artists put stuff on DeviantArt or similar sites, programmers work on mods, directors put fan-films on YouTube, models do time-for-prints deals with photographers, prospective journalists are writing blogs, etc. This is a natural phenomenon of the wish to break into a competitive area.

Completely agree. While I hate to see folks offering up their talents and services for free, I know that it is a common occurrence in many creative industries.

If the presence of free music is driving down prices for the better music, then the better music obviously isn't offering enough perceived added value. That's not abuse, it's market forces. If someone can write music that is 75% as good as yours but charges 1/10th of the price, that's your problem, not the industry's. Getting snobby about it and wishing amateurs would play by your rules in order to inflate the wages of professionals is foolish at best. Composers like to think they've earned the right to be paid properly for their work. But the process of earning that right involves starting at that same point and attempting to build your skills and your brand. That's what these people are doing and it's no sign whatsoever of things being 'bad'.

People can charge whatever they wish. While it does impact me to some degree, I don't worry about it too much. Basically the only thing I worry about is when people work for free. This is more due to designers only scoping out free work instead of good work. The issue is when you see development teams spending X on other assets and 1/10th of that on audio. Audio also usually gets the least amount of time and has the fewest people working on it. I think most composers-sound designer-audio nerds are just trying to say something like "give us a bit more resources, a bit more flexibility and freedom and you'll be surprised with what we can do!"

The people who are really good at what they do are having little trouble with funding. I have a singer friend who was flown out from DC to California, all expenses paid, to record for a single day at Skywalker Sound for a forthcoming computer game. That doesn't sound like a low audio budget to me.

That's also Skywalker Sound. To use Skywalker Sound as an indication or comparison to how the rest of the audio industry is doing is really unbalanced. I know, without a shadow of a doubt, that my audio budget is a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of what Skywalker Sound has. I also have less resources and fewer clients. But I'm working on it! :P

Ultimately the value of music to a game is only partly down to the quality of the music - it's also down to the kind of game it has to work with. The nature of the medium can deflate the importance of music to a point where it is lower than an equivalent composition in film. If a composer doesn't like that then they have the option of writing for a different medium.

Hmmm, I disagree. I've never felt like my music, or it's importance has been deflated by working in games. If anything I feel that I can take a stronger role than in film because it can be interactive. You're telling a story that the player actively takes part in. I don't feel that the nature of games (or films) deflate the importance of my music whatsoever. But maybe that's because I realize I'm writing music that has a role or function. It's true that some composers (or listeners for that matter) want the music to take certain stage during a film or game. (I had a discussion kinda like this on another forum about The Dark Knight score.) I strongly disagree. That's why I talked about balance so much. Sometimes the music needs to take a stronger role, like during an awesome cinematic, while other times it needs to step back and just support and enhance.

Finally, the idea that composers will dwindle if the cash supply reduces is laughable. These multitudes of people offering 'cut-price' deals aren't doing it in the hopes of getting rich. They're doing it in the hopes of getting a job doing something that they love. They already love it even though breaking into the industry is very difficult and making a living more difficult still.

They're also doing it at cut-price deals because they lack the credentials of others. Take me for example: I charge more than most but less than some serious names. Why? Because I've achieved a degree of success and have established myself somewhat. I've also invested a good deal of money into my studio with pro gear. So should I not charge more than the guy that put down $2,000 on a computer system and audio software and has no credits? Should he charge as much as me? Should I charge as much as Tommy Tallarico, Aaron Marks or John Williams? Of course not. Experience and credentials matter.

CD sales are down too but there are still millions of bands writing and recording all the time.

True, CD sales are down but iTunes and other mediums like it are up. So a band has to record the album in some manner, no? Then they take tours which is where the band can really profit from their work. Besides, if they don't record their albums how would any of their fans listen to their music outside of performances? How would they get radio play? This doesn't seem like a very good point.

It's not like physics or electrical engineering where you can't do much without a rigorous education and expensive laboratories and workshops, where a lack of funds would have a terminal effect on development. Creation of art is not dependent on wages, it's dependent on cost, and the cost of making music is dropping. I appreciate some professionals may not like this but the trend is not going to reverse, so they will have to get used to it.

Okay, that's a bit offensive to be honest. Clearly you don't know how much pro audio gear costs. A Pro Tools HD 3 audio set up (which only consists of the audio card and interface) costs $32,000. A Pro Tools HD 1 audio set up costs roughly $10,000. Keep in mind this is only the audio card and the interface for it. Pro samples like East West Platinum costs about $900. The top of the line VSL sample package costs about $20,000. Sound FX libraries can cost in the hundreds or thousands of dollars as well. Then you have audio plug-ins that can cost a great deal. The top of the line Waves audio suite is about 7-8,000. To have a Dolby certified room can be very costly because you have to build the room to a certain spec, buy acoustic treatments which can be VERY costly. I haven't even gotten to the education part. I have a masters degree in music. That's 6.5 years of my life spent learning, analyzing and practicing music. Now, do you have to have a degree to do music? Certainly not. But there are many composers who do. They also have to know how to work all of this gear and how to manage audio. Your stance seems to be one of: "Hey, anyone can do music. It's not hard and the tools needed for it are cheap." Well, in a way yes. Just like I can spend about $100, put down some plastic and start painting. Doesn't mean I'll be very good. Doesn't mean that my work will gain any recognition. Finally, you get to the technical side of things. I know how to script audio, work with middle ware (such as Fmod and Xact), program MIDI, how to create looping and specialized samples, work with Action Script and work with specialized systems such as the Nintendo DS's method for music playback. Does the average person know all about this? Does the average bedroom composer know this? Maybe, maybe not. But it feels like you're simplifying and/or dismissing the composer's job quite a bit. At least at the pro level of expectations and responsibilities.

So getting back to the main point of this article: The author feels that there hasn't been good music, with an iconic melody in the last two generations. I disagree. Many others do as well. This wasn't meant to turn into a discussion of is music important. This wasn't meant to turn into a debate about how easy and/or cheap is it to make music for video games.

Thanks!

Nathan

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement