Sign in to follow this  
Choconut

Yes, another topic about choosing an language

Choconut    100
Hi there, i know that this kind of topic has opened for a thousand times bud i still dont know the answer (for me). My question is What Language Do I Use?, yes i read the for beginners page but i still dont know. I want to learn an language that is easy to learn, with good documentation and much tutorials. I am not that kind of noob that is try to create an call of duty or an World of warcraft himself with no experience. I want to create simple games as basic and get the language under control. I hope you understand me (i know, my english sucks) Greetz Choconut

DevFred    840
Quote:
Original post by Choconut
My question is What Language Do I Use?

It does not matter that much. Just pick one and stay with it.

Washu    7829
Python with PyGame (or pygl).
C# with XNA would work too.

If you've read those pages then you should know that most of it is personal preference. However, a great deal of what will drive your experience with software development will be the ease with which you get going. Both of the above are relatively easy to get started with, and you can see results (and have good examples too) almost immediately.

Cornstalks    7030
There isn't a "correct" language. There is no real right answer (including for you). Just pick one. You might be afraid because you don't want to waste your time learning an "inferior" language. You might be worried that the language you start using won't be the same one you're using later on down the road. So here, I'll help:

Don't worry about it.

Languages are tools. You'll need to learn how to use multiple tools (or in other words, multiple languages) throughout your life (assuming you don't quit programming). For example, I wrote a game in C++. But I want to expand on that game and entirely remake it. I also want practice using other languages/tools. So I plan on remaking that game in C++, C#/XNA, Silverlight, Flash, and Java. Why would I ever want to do such a thing? Because the specific language doesn't really matter. I want to practice using different languages with different idioms and paradigms and force myself to really think about how I'm programming something and why I'm programming it that way.

Anyway, what I'm really trying to say is stop worrying about it. Just jump in. Pick one. Personally, I am a fan of C# and XNA, but I've also heard a lot of good things about Python and Pygame. Just pick a language. It's really not a big deal. Trust me. I was in your exact same position a few years ago.

[edit]

ninja'd += 3; // Über ninja'd

Choconut    100
Ok, i am going to focus on C#, 1 more question: XNA, does it have an compiler or any script editor, if you understand what i mean, or do i have to download another program to write code and ''place'' it in XNA?

rip-off    10976
Forget about XNA for the moment. Concentrate on learning how to do things in the language itself. For beginners, it is best to stick to console programs. Start small, a "guess the number" game will be plenty work for the moment. Sometime later, tic-tac-toe. And so on, until you have a good understanding about programming in C#.

Cornstalks    7030
Quote:
Original post by rip-off
Forget about XNA for the moment. Concentrate on learning how to do things in the language itself. For beginners, it is best to stick to console programs. Start small, a "guess the number" game will be plenty work for the moment. Sometime later, tic-tac-toe. And so on, until you have a good understanding about programming in C#.

QFT

@Choconut: XNA is basically a library of code that you can use to help you handle some game related things. A lot of people make the mistake of trying to learn XNA before learning C#. That's bad. If you can't use C#, you definitely can't use XNA. Don't worry about XNA for now. You won't need it for quite a while. Like rip-off said, work on simpler games that use the console first. There are lots of programming concepts to learn before you should dive into XNA. Good luck, and happy coding!

rip-off    10976
Quote:
Original post by Choconut
And wich compiler should i choose? Visual c# 2008 express editon?

link: http://www.microsoft.com/express/vcsharp/

Sounds good to me [smile]

tnutty    100
First think why you want to learn a language ( for a career, hobby, games, websites, bored?) .

Then ask which language fits the best for this particular task. Then that way
we can tell you what you need to know and we wont have to read your mind. WIN WIN situation.

bitshifter    113
I had first learned to use Dos back in the day.
Years later i had learned C++ and thought it was great.
Then i learned C and thought it was even better.
Last i learned assembly and realized why C/C++ suck...
Dont get me wrong, C/C++ are great languages,
and im sure you can code anything in any language,
but assembly is truly the easiest one of them all.
I would say to look at the syntax for a few languages
and decide which one looks like the easiest to understand.
Once you know a few of them you will soon realize
which language will best suit the task at hand.

owiley    257
wow someone who loves assembly. yeah if you guy's start out with some assembly you will understand why the code run like it does and it clarify a lot of things

DevFred    840
Quote:
Original post by bitshifter
but assembly is truly the easiest one of them all.

Easy in terms of understanding what each instruction does, yes. But very limited in expressiveness.

Printing every item in a collection of things takes one or two lines in C++ but god-knows-how-many lines in any assembly language.

owiley    257
yeah it will fell like you have done a load of work when you have really done as much as you could.that's why they create new languages, it simplifies coding to a point where things become easier