Would you recommend this book?

Started by
0 comments, last by LessBread 14 years, 11 months ago
I'm considering getting Microsoft Visual C++ Windows Applications by Example by Stefan Bjornander. I'm just curious if anyone else has read it and if they would recommend it. I'm very much a new programmer, but I wouldn't go as far as to say I'm completely green. I understand basic concepts, just need some work getting a fuller understanding. Another question, the book is based upon programming applications using the MFC library. Is this a good basis to start non-console applications?
Advertisement
It looks ok. MFC has it's drawbacks. It's not useful for game programming directly. It's what you'd use to whip together game tools, small gui utilities and the like. The classic Windows text is Petzold, which while old still sets forward the foundation that packages like MFC are built on. And debugging MFC can be a real pain. codeproject.com is a good source of info about MFC (it's also a good source for info on a variety of approaches to windows programming). I'd make good use of the relisoft link above first.

Have you checked out the gamedev book list? Books @ GameDev.net
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement