[.net] About MSVS "Shell Integrated Mode"

Started by
2 comments, last by ranakor 14 years, 11 months ago
Hello, As I wanted to discover F#, I found out the Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Shell (integrated mode). I downloaded and installed it, then I installed the F# package. Everything works fine. Now I have a few questions: 1- Is the VS Shell Integrated Mode a kind of free "make-your-own" Visual Studio where I can add support for all the languages I want? 2- I'd like to add C# and C++ support (which I currently use in their Express Edition versions), is that possible? 3- The express editions did not support VS add-ons (such as ReSharper), does the shell integrated mode supports them? Thanks! [Edited by - Trillian on May 2, 2009 8:23:10 PM]
Advertisement
Visaul C++ express is using the integrated shell already and has the support built in. You could have a user just download and use that instead.

On another note, the shell is just a shell. Languages like F# can be custom added to it as is the case with the one that you donwloaded.

You are probably looking for your own integrated solution. To do so you will want your own compiler or maybe use a free compiler. You could integrate it with the shell and then wrap up the executable inside. Execute the compiler using the System.Diagnostics.Process class to start the cc.exe or cl.exe for c++. If you want debugger support then you can research that and make wrap that up in the shell too.

Actually this is usually how the compiler is called in your favorite tools. The window that pops up is just hidden with certain flags during startup.
Thanks for your input, BradSnobar,

Quote:Visual C++ express is using the integrated shell already and has the support built in.

Could you clarify that? The way I understood it, MSVC++EE is using something more akin to the Isolated Shell in order to create a non-extensible IDE exclusively geared towards C++.

I understand how support for languages can be added to the MSVS Integrated Shell, I've already packed mine with F#, Spec#, Boo, IronPython and Nemerle. However, I wanted to know if there was a way to add specifically support for the C++ and C# languages (along with intellisense and debugging), because it seems that those are only available in bundled products such as the non-shell MSVS version, MSVS C++ express and MSVS C# express.

Basically, what I'm trying to do is to integrate the different languages I work with (C#, C++) into one environment (the MSVS Integrated Shell), instead of having separate express editions. If possible, I'd also like to have plug-in support (express editions don't). And I'd want all that legally and for free, so this might not be possible.

To sum it up:
- Are there packages to add C++ and/or C# support to the MSVS Integrated Shell?
- If not, could I add such support by reusing dlls from the express editions into the Shell installation folder (without breaking any EULA)?
the without breaking any eula sounds very unlikely , specially considering that the no support for pluging in express editions is most likely done to push you to buy highter up editions

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement