ok so im' a bit new

Started by
17 comments, last by blade5 14 years, 11 months ago
So I have been doing some researching on good c++ books to get. After some research I found a lot of positive responses to Sams teach yourself c++ one hour a day (obviously i'm ignoring the 1 hour a day part as most people do). So I should get it at the end of the week. More of my question is I guess is do most noobs at programming read the whole book? (I would imagine so). I have read some people just get it for a reference which kind of confuses me. Sorry if this is too confusing of a question hope its not!
Advertisement
In my experience I've found that it's generally best to read and try to understand the entire book. I've also found that although I could follow the material, I didn't fully realise just where to use all the concepts I'd learned and that just came with experience. So it is worth reading everything imo, but alot will jsut come with experience and you will msot likely be coming back and using your books for refernce. I've been programming for around 2 1/2 years now, which I know isn't that long, but more than enough to get all the basics down, but I still go back to some of my early c++ books occasionally for reference.

Also, I've heard great things about the Sams books too. My brother used to have one and always said how great it was!
I've heard positive things about the book, but seriously, my advice to "noobs at programming" would be to pick a different language followed by learn Python, C# or Java instead.
I kinda hate it when people give beginners advice like that :S, what makes you think that learning those languages will help them understand? I mean I went straight for C++ and did fine...

I recommend you just go with C++... but give it time and don't rush... if you don't understand a concept go online and do research on multiple sites that have tutorials for it, after a while you should be able to atleast understand the basics I believe.
Quote:Original post by VirtualProgrammer
I kinda hate it when people give beginners advice like that :S, what makes you think that learning those languages will help them understand? I mean I went straight for C++ and did fine...
That's alright, it is quite an opinionated thing really and there is no 'one language fits all' for beginners, someone like yourself might well do perfectly fine with C++ as a first language.

In the general case though, the important goal is learning how to program at a high level and C++ omits, obfuscates or otherwise complicates a lot of these concepts behind programming - all of which serve to impede someone from reaching that goal.

Languages like Python, C# and Java are all higher-level languages that are easier to use and enable higher productivity.
Hmm, I seem to have anoyyed you... I'm sorry man :( I didn't mean to.
Quote:Original post by VirtualProgrammer
Hmm, I seem to have anoyyed you... I'm sorry man :( I didn't mean to.
Oh no, you haven't at all - what you asked was a perfectly valid question because on the face of it there might not be a clear reason why language A is any better or worse than language B, so I wanted to explain my reasoning behind my previous recommendation.

I can be quite blunt, but please don't confuse that for grumpiness or annoyance [smile]

Edit: After re-reading my previous post I don't even think it sounds like I'm annoyed, but then I guess I'm biased. [wink]
Well I have went into C++ before but the book just wasn't that good at explaining certain things so I decided to get a new one.

In school they are teaching Java but I just don't find it that great and from what I have learned from c++ that I understand I like it more then Java.

Thanks for the responses so far!

I do have 1 more question to clarify something.

When you use a book for reference do you just go back and read certian sections? or just a paragraph to refresh your memory of something? A good example would be great for me as I don't quiet understand it. Do game programmers use references alot? (like ones that work for EA or something like that).

Thanks in advance for the response!
dmatter: OK then sorry for the mis-understanding :D, everything comes down to the viewer's perception right :), and well looking for emotion in text is a little hard... I happened to pick up "anoyyed" :).

blade5: Hmm, well a programmer is a programmer no matter where he or she works :). If EA game programmers didn't use references they're either A) Robots or B) Humans from the future... both of which cases seem highly improbable, although B) would be a fun group to hang out with... hehe :D. Seriously though of course they use references, and when it comes to "how much" of a reference one needs to read is relative meaning that people or programmers in this case just read how much they need to. I personally have been using quite a lot of reference material as its been a while since I programmed at all. By reference material I am referring to MSDN, as well as various EBooks and what not.
Quote:Original post by blade5
In school they are teaching Java but I just don't find it that great and from what I have learned from c++ that I understand I like it more then Java.
Personally I don't like Java much either; my favourite language at the moment is C# and I consider it an "improved Java" in terms of the language itself.

Quote:When you use a book for reference do you just go back and read certian sections? or just a paragraph to refresh your memory of something?
Both, or neither; it depends on what you want to find out, it might be that you know a book has a chapter on something you'd like a refresher on, or it might be that you remember a book has a clever line of code somewhere that you'd like to see again.

Quote:Do game programmers use references alot? (like ones that work for EA or something like that).
All programmers use references all the time, people tend to dive right in, look up the things they need to look up, and just let the practice slowly settle in so that they can eventually do it off by heart - depending on the complexity of the task it might be a "do it once, know it forever" type thing, or something that they always end up needing to look up.

I tend to turn to the internet first, rather than books, mainly because it's right infront of me and the required book isn't.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement