Sign in to follow this  

XNA/C# Book

This topic is 3131 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could point me to a great XNA book that might teach a bit of the C# language. I do not know C#, but know Java very very well and from all of my classmates have been told the switch over is almost nothing. So if anyone knows any great C# books that teach expecting you to know another language like Java or C++ so it goes over the basics very fast, or an XNA that does a fast intro to C# syntax I would be very grateful. Thanks Craig

Today I've begun reading Learning XNA 3.0 by Aaron Reed. I have never worked with C# before and know only the fundamentals of Java. So far I really like it. It seems to me that it's no problem to pick up the C# specifics on the go. I'm certain it will be even less of an issue for you.

Best,
Michael

Quote:
Original post by Lothia
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could point me to a great XNA book that might teach a bit of the C# language. I do not know C#, but know Java very very well and from all of my classmates have been told the switch over is almost nothing. So if anyone knows any great C# books that teach expecting you to know another language like Java or C++ so it goes over the basics very fast, or an XNA that does a fast intro to C# syntax I would be very grateful.
Thanks
Craig
There is a free online book called Dot Net Book Zero. It might be helpful to you. It's a book for transitioning to C#. Also, there is a series of C# tutorials on MSDN that will cover all the basics.

Quote:
Original post by Daaark
Quote:
Original post by Lothia
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could point me to a great XNA book that might teach a bit of the C# language. I do not know C#, but know Java very very well and from all of my classmates have been told the switch over is almost nothing. So if anyone knows any great C# books that teach expecting you to know another language like Java or C++ so it goes over the basics very fast, or an XNA that does a fast intro to C# syntax I would be very grateful.
Thanks
Craig
There is a free online book called Dot Net Book Zero. It might be helpful to you. It's a book for transitioning to C#. Also, there is a series of C# tutorials on MSDN that will cover all the basics.

Thanks, that will probably work even though it's not a book. I understand the concept of Google. but I want a review of books that meet my criteria. I could have used Amazon but they generally only have books for beginners with a good amount of reliable resources. I generally like books and not online sites as I can read them better and in more locations. If anyone else has any suggestions I would be happy. As well thank you mitsche for your suggestion.

My personal oppinion is that it's pretty difficult learning an API and a language at the same time and from my perspective it's easier coding a couple of applications console or window using the language to get the basics down.

What you could do is get the C# Language Specification Document. Just read that and dive in.

I hope this helps.
Take care.

[Edited by - Armadon on May 4, 2009 7:01:34 AM]

Quote:
Original post by Lothia
Quote:
Original post by Daaark
Quote:
Original post by Lothia
Hello,
Thanks
Craig

Thanks, that will probably work even though it's not a book. I understand the concept of Google. but I want a review of books that meet my criteria. I could have used Amazon but they generally only have books for beginners with a good amount of reliable resources. I generally like books and not online sites as I can read them better and in more locations. If anyone else has any suggestions I would be happy. As well thank you mitsche for your suggestion.

Actually, it's based on an book called "Programming in the Key of C#: A Primer for Aspiring Programmers" which covers all the basics of C# you will need to know so it's good.
There was a book published along time ago that tried to teach MDX and C# in one book called "Beginning C# Game Programming" by Penton but as with any book that tries to cram too much into one book it was a disaster!
Do yourself a favor and learn to walk before you trip over yourself;)

p.s. Oh and Learning XNA 3.0 by Aaron Reed is a good book to learn XNA once you learn C# and even covers the latest version unlike most XNA books out there.

Another fantastic resource is Rob Miles C# Page. Not only does he have a "Java to C#" book, he's also got a straight "Learning C#" book (known as the "yellow" book. Both free, both fantastic... the only book I've ever found that explained interfaces in a way that I understood them first pass.

Give them a look!

This topic is 3131 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.