Sign in to follow this  

Data transfer to the GPU

This topic is 3145 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is there a way to reduce the number of Effect framework set calls? In my code I was attempting to render something like 500 objects with a simple effect(transform and texture) and for each object I set the data and transfer to the GPU (wvp, tex). I understand that the amount of time it takes to do a transfer like this is significant, but how can it be reduced? I ran the program through a profiler and it shows these calls being significantly slower then other calls in the program. Is there anyway to work around this? I know that I could do instancing of the geometry stream, but, doesn't that still require repeat transfer of the non-geometry data? It seems that sending the wvp 500 times each frame is the problem as this function showed up slower then the texture function. Is there a method of batching this data? Am I simple wrong in thinking that I need to make a set for each object? Thanks in advance.

This topic is 3145 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.