Any tools for debugging performance? (C++)

Started by
6 comments, last by PolyVox 14 years, 11 months ago
I'm getting some lag in my game I made in OpenGL, VS2008 C++, but I can't really point out what function or for loop is slowing down my game that's taking a bit to calculate. What are some C++ tips or tools I can use on VS2008 or 3rd Party application to tell me performance on a function, to assist me on finding what's taking time to calculate? I even I'm using multithreading for a function to help performance, but it's not doing much to performance witch this for loop would only go 256 times just for a if statement that determines when to assign or update variables. Thank you, I hope your recommendations work! -Ajm
Check out my open source code projects/libraries! My Homepage You may learn something.
Advertisement
For profiling, you might take a look at AMD CodeAnalyst. It's free, and although some features will only work on machines with AMD processors, the time-based profiling feature should work with any processor (AFAIK, at least).
gprof
What you call "debugging performance" is usually referred to as "profiling". That might help your Googling. :)
I can't figure out how to use Code Analyst with VS2008. It doesn't show stats of the source code's hot spots anywhere.

Even trying VS2008 Analyze menu doesn't seem to show where I can use it's profiler.
Check out my open source code projects/libraries! My Homepage You may learn something.
Quote:Original post by ajm113
I can't figure out how to use Code Analyst with VS2008. It doesn't show stats of the source code's hot spots anywhere.

Even trying VS2008 Analyze menu doesn't seem to show where I can use it's profiler.

You have to have the Team Suite or Development Edition if you want to do profiling.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
Grab a trail copy of VTune from Intel.
Quote:Original post by spookycat
Grab a trail copy of VTune from Intel.

Seconded... I downloaded the 30 day evaluation last week and it's very interesting to see the results! I won't be optimising without it again :-)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement