Sign in to follow this  
TheOrestes

Games to Animations/Movies

How much feasible it is for a Graphics n Shader Programmer to make a switch into Animation/VFX industry from gaming industry for some duration & then return back. Is it problematic? How do ppl in game industry consider this? Domain remains the same i.e. Shader & Graphics programming. Cheers! P.S : was not able to find a place to put general discussions like these on forums hence posting here.

To be honest I find this thread/your question kinda wierd :). If you want to do animation then just learn using tutorials and what not... then go back to programming when you need to. But if I were you, while I'm learning how to do animation I would also create random programs just to keep sharp at it :D.

If you have the skills to do both jobs, I don't see any reason why you couldn't switch between them for a while. It certainly won't count against you when it comes to getting future jobs, so I wouldn't worry about that. The only real question is if you actually have the skillset necessary to work in both industries.

Quote:
Original post by TheOrestes
How much feasible it is for a Graphics n Shader Programmer to make a switch into Animation/VFX industry from gaming industry for some duration & then return back.

It depends completely and entirely on employment opportunities.

Do you have someone that will employ you in animation?
Do you have someone that will then hire you back as programmer?

If answer to both is yes, then it's completely trivial. When it comes to jobs it's a market of supply and demand, little else matters.

Quote:
It certainly won't count against you when it comes to getting future jobs, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Terms like overqualified and underspecialized do exist though. But usually more experience is better.

Quote:
Original post by Antheus
Terms like overqualified and underspecialized do exist though. But usually more experience is better.

True, but in my experience at least, knowledge graphics effects techniques is one of those fields where the more you know, the better. A little bit of "fringe" knowledge from non-gaming fields can actually inform a lot of decisions and designs in the games realm, so in this case I think the situation falls under the category of "more is better."

well, thx guys!

btw, even if I switch to Animation or VFX industry, my domain is going to remain the same i.e. Graphics-Shader Programming which am doing for past 3 years in gaming industry itself.

Quote:
Original post by ApochPiQ
If you have the skills to do both jobs, I don't see any reason why you couldn't switch between them for a while. It certainly won't count you when it comes to getting future jobs, so I wouldn't worry about that. The only real question is if you actually have the skillset necessary to work in both industries.

As per my understanding, Games is about optimization & how much u utilize GPU efficiently. whereas VFX/animation stuff being offline rendered quality is what is looked for but tht does not mean optimization is overlooked. Well the main thing is, with current advent of GPUs, stuff like Ray tracing algos or global illumination to be done in realtime is not too far, which is being done there in film industry from years. Personally i think by joining VFX industry for few years will teach me more about this upcoming technologies which will be used in games. :)

Quote:
Original post by Antheus
Do you have someone that will employ you in animation?
Do you have someone that will then hire you back as programmer?

So far ... YES :)
& in Animation, I will do the same stuff which am doing in games i.e Programming, but it will be offline rendered & scope will b wider.

Well, i got couple of months before I take this trivial decision, n am absolutely sure of returning to Gaming domain in future as thats where my heart lies :)

Thanks for all those valuable inputs & infact looking for more to hear from you ppl :)