Sign in to follow this  

[C#][SDL.Net]Loading maps

This topic is 3149 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello there! I'm new to this forum and I've found it with google. =P Anyway, I've always wondered how to load maps... 2D maps with tiles... Anyway, here's my try at it with C# and SDL.Net : [CODE] using System; using System.IO; using System.Drawing; using SdlDotNet.Graphics; using SdlDotNet.Core; using SdlDotNet.Audio; using SdlDotNet.Graphics.Primitives; using SdlDotNet.Graphics.Sprites; using SdlDotNet.Input; using SdlDotNet.Particles; using SdlDotNet.Windows; namespace Contra2012 { class Map { private Rectangle m_source; private SpriteCollection m_spritecollection; private Sprite m_sprite; private StreamReader m_data; private int m_offsetx; private int m_offsety; private int m_value; private int m_tile; private int m_line; private string m_current; public void Initialize(string surface, string data) { m_data = File.OpenText(data); while (!m_data.EndOfStream) { m_current = m_data.ReadLine(); for(int i = 0;i < m_current.Length;i++) { for (int u = 0; u < m_current.Length; u += 1) { if (m_current[i + u] != '(' || m_current[i + u] != ',' || m_current[i + u] != ')' && i+u<m_current.Length) m_value += (int)m_current[i] + u * 10; else break; } if (m_current[i] == ',') m_offsetx = m_value * 16; if(m_current[i] == ')') { m_offsety = m_value * 16; m_sprite = new Sprite(new Surface(surface), new Point(m_tile * 16, m_line * 16), m_spritecollection); m_sprite.Surface.ClipRectangle = new Rectangle(m_offsetx,m_offsety,16,16); m_spritecollection.Add(m_sprite); } } m_line ++; } } } } [/CODE] The format of the text files : (#th of the tile in the spritesheet on the X axis,#th of the tile in the spritesheet on the Y axis) (1,0)(2,4) (2,3) But I can't seem to make it work. It said that my Index is going outside the limits... I don't mind rewriting all of the stuff, so if there is a better way to do so,say it to me. ;) Thanks. Ps.I hope there isn't too much code to look at. =P

You got two nested loops walking through the same string, and you are adding those indexes together. Something fishy about that.

Instead of trying to identify the problem I wrote another parsing function that I think is clearer and less prone to errors. I don't have SDL installed for C# so I'm just gonna extract the coordinates and print them to the screen.

public void Initialize(string surface, string data)
{
m_data = File.OpenText(data);

char[] separators = { ',', '(', ')' }; // Adding all characters we consider meta-data

while (!m_data.EndOfStream)
{
m_current = m_data.ReadLine();

// Creating an array of strings, removing ( ) and ,
string[] pairs = m_current.Split(separators, StringSplitOptions.RemoveEmptyEntries);

// Making sure that there is at least two coordinates, and that the number of coordinates found is an even number
if (pairs.Length < 2 || (pairs.Length % 2) != 0)
{
Console.WriteLine("Something is wrong with the file format");
return;
}

// Walking through all the coordinate pairs
for (int i = 0; i < pairs.Length; i += 2)
{
// Extracting the x and y values, and removing white spaces
string sx = pairs[i].Trim();
string sy = pairs[i+1].Trim();

// Converting the values into 32 bit integers
int x = Convert.ToInt32(sx);
int y = Convert.ToInt32(sy);

// Do whatever you want to the coordinates here, I'm just gonna print them to screen for convenience
Console.WriteLine(x.ToString() + " " + y.ToString());
}
}
}

This topic is 3149 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.