Sign in to follow this  
SekaiYume

Need advice about book and egnire

Hi, i am new in this forum, my name is Yahav and i am a programer (as you can guess ^^"). I have worked with .NET Framework, PHP and now i an working with C++, my goal is to develop a MMORPG game. I got some advices on books and egnires but i really dont know what to read so i am little confused, i hope you can advice me on book and/or egnires. my egnires that people adviced me is DirectX and OpenGL. the books is Programming Role-playing Games With DirectX and from that sires the All in ONE, Multyplayer games and proffesional teqniques. I hope someone can help me, good day, Yahav.

This is a common beginner question, and the answer is unfortunately discouraging.

Forget about making an MMORPG, these games take years to build if a team of experts is working on them, a beginner has no chance whatsoever. Start learning plain C++, move to simple games and keep working your way up. By the time you are skilled enough to make an MMORPG, you will know. But that is years away if ever.

I came here with knowlage of C++, and i am not looking for someting soo big, i am looking to know about a book that can help me learn to build games... (I came here after traning in C++, and with .NET Framework)

Quote:
Original post by SekaiYume
I came here with knowlage of C++, and i am not looking for someting soo big, i am looking to know about a book that can help me learn to build games... (I came here after traning in C++, and with .NET Framework)

There is no such thing as a "not soo big" MMORPG, they are the most complex elements of pretty much every other genre put together (and then some).

If you want general games, the stickies on this forum will help you. If you still insist on an MMORPG, I can't help you.

Edit: To be more helpful, I need more information. What is your background in math? How much C++ do you know? This stuff will dictate where you start.

Quote:
Original post by Daniel B
Quote:

There is no such thing as a "not soo big" MMORPG, they are the most complex elements of pretty much every other genre put together (and then some).

If you want general games, the stickies on this forum will help you. If you still insist on an MMORPG, I can't help you.

Edit: To be more helpful, I need more information. What is your background in math? How much C++ do you know? This stuff will dictate where you start.

Ok, ill try the stickey topics on this forum, and i forgot to say that i not work alone, i have 2 more programers with me (its no so helpful but more good then bieng alone wont it ;) )
Ummmm i know all the language basics (vars,arrays,loops,classes,unions,structs,unums etc..) and i work with C++ to create Windows APP (connecting with DB) like chat, forum applications etc... (i hope that could help ^^")

Edit:
P.S.: I'll answer to your replay (if you'll replay me) in 6 more hours becuse in isreal the time now is 01:54 AM
P.S.2: Very very thanks for your help and intrest!

Quote:
Ok, ill try the stickey topics on this forum, and i forgot to say that i not work alone, i have 2 more programers with me (its no so helpful but more good then bieng alone wont it ;) )

A team can be both a blessing and a curse. While a team is nice for joint development, individual skills must also be emphasized.

Quote:
Original post by SekaiYumeUmmmm i know all the language basics (vars,arrays,loops,classes,unions,structs,unums etc..) and i work with C++ to create Windows APP (connecting with DB) like chat, forum applications etc... (i hope that could help ^^")

Games are the hardest types of programs to make, general purpose programs will be of immense help because they boost your general programming skills before you make games. I think it is an excellent idea to make general applications.

For general applications, use the win32 library (I learned form http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/ ). I was stunned with how many elements of .net I saw in these libraries, except I was working with them behind the scenes (I work as a .net programmer).

Quote:
Edit:
P.S.: I'll answer to your replay (if you'll replay me) in 6 more hours becuse in isreal the time now is 01:54 AM
P.S.2: Very very thanks for your help and intrest!

Glad to help.