(Linux) mutex timed lock vs timed condition wait

Started by
4 comments, last by Dmytry 14 years, 11 months ago
Why use one over the other? Both seem to accomplish the same thing. Which one would have lower overhead? I'm just using it to sleep a log-flushing thread for periodic times (until signaled by a full log buffer or log destructor). The main thing for me is to guarantee there will be no busy wait.
"But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?" --Mark Twain

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Looking for a high-performance, easy to use, and lightweight math library? http://www.cmldev.net/ (note: I'm not associated with that project; just a user)
Advertisement
mutex_timedlock is signal safe as well as thread safe, while cond_timedwait is only thread safe. Also cond_timedwait unlocks a mutex and then waits for a condition, while mutex_timedlock takes ownership of a mutex. Entirely different.
We''re sorry, but you don''t have the clearance to read this post. Please exit your browser at this time. (Code 23)
That still doesn't tell me which one to use.

I want to sleep a thread until a timeout or until I want it to wake up. Both of these accomplish this--the timed condition wait when the condition is met or a timeout, and the timed lock until the mutex is unlocked or a timeout.

Which one has less overhead? I also assume at least in NPTL neither will busy-wait.
"But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?" --Mark Twain

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Looking for a high-performance, easy to use, and lightweight math library? http://www.cmldev.net/ (note: I'm not associated with that project; just a user)
If you want to resume the thread, use the cond_timedwait. It doesn't sound like you need to take control of a mutex, which is what mutex_timedlock is for.
We''re sorry, but you don''t have the clearance to read this post. Please exit your browser at this time. (Code 23)
But the condition functions take a mutex as an argument...

Here's the relevant code, maybe you can kindly explain how it should really be done:

shared_ptr<pthread_t> Log::TimerOn(int const sec){	if (Acquire(_delay)) return _thread;	Release(_delay, sec);	pthread_mutex_lock(_timeout.get());	_thread.reset(new pthread_t);	if (!_thread || pthread_create(_thread.get(), 0, Timer, this)) Release(_delay, 0);	return _thread;}bool Log::TimerOff(void){	// TODO: check for values of thread, timeout, etc.	if (!Acquire(_delay)) return true;	Release(_delay, 0); // Timer() loop condition is _delay != 0	timespec tDelay;	tDelay.tv_sec = 0;	tDelay.tv_nsec = 200000000;	for (int i = 0; Acquire(_cycle) && i < 10; ++i) // Timer() is currently executing a Flush() while _cycle is set; give it more time	{		pthread_mutex_unlock(_timeout.get());		pthread_delay_np(&tDelay);	}	if (Acquire(_cycle)) // Timer() thread still hasn't quit; terminate it	{		pthread_cancel(*_thread);		return false;	}	pthread_mutex_unlock(_timeout.get());	return true;}void *Log::Timer(void *obj){	SetThreadName("Log timer"); // For Windows debugger	Log *log(static_cast<Log *>(obj));	timespec tDelay;	tDelay.tv_nsec = 0;	while (Acquire(log->_delay))	{		Release(log->_cycle, true);		// TODO: Make sure target system does not use busy waiting before using timer		// TODO: Use relative time when pthread_mutex_timedlock_np() available		tDelay.tv_sec = static_cast<long>(time(0)) + log->_delay;		pthread_mutex_timedlock(log->_timeout.get(), &tDelay);		if (log->_ind >= 0) log->Flush();		Release(log->_cycle, false);	}	return 0;}

(Timer() is a static member; Acquire() and Release() just wrap volatile access and memory barriers; _thread, _lock, and _timeout are shared_ptr holding the corresponding pthread types)

Prune:
In similar situation, I used semaphore (with wxWidgets).
I believe it uses sem_timedwait . The idea is to create a semaphore initialized to zero, and use sem_timedwait to sleep , and sem_post from other thread to wake it up. I made custom thread class with Sleep function that does this, so that I can wake up sleeping thread when i want to exit it quickly.
I don't remember exactly why I used semaphores, probably because semaphores seem to be the right tool for that job, the wait and post semantics is precisely what you seem to need.

With mutex, you would have to lock it first, and unlock to wake up the thread, then the thread would lock it again... and you'll be locking mutex from one thread and unlocking from another, which might be a no-no (mutex stands for mutual exclusion, and normally you lock then unlock it from same thread. It may be optimized for such use (or not be)).
cond_timedwait requires to create both condition variable and mutex, and looks more complicated than sem_timedwait.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement