Sign in to follow this  
BlueBan007

super mario 64?

Hey, I am aware this is over my head, but would it be possible to do an accurate remake of super mario 64 in c++? and what graphics would you use? is there any available source code from the game? has anyone done this before? if only to have a mario walk around in a room lol

Oh please... its possible to make an EXACT copy :D. Just depends on your abilities as a programmer. There isn't much to a classic Super Mario game, you just need to know how to work with sprites (if you're using Direct3D) or if you're using GDI you need to know how to work with bitmaps and what not. The hardest part I would say is to get the graphics for the game :).

I suggest to do some searches to see if you can find models for the game. If not, you may have to make em yourself. Perhaps with blender 3d or something. The better you are at programming, and various math, the better off you'll be. For instance, when mario runs, and has some slippage with his feet and such when stopping, or turning sharply.

Quote:
Original post by BlueBan007
Hey, I am aware this is over my head, but would it be possible to do an accurate remake of super mario 64 in c++? and what graphics would you use?

is there any available source code from the game?

has anyone done this before?

if only to have a mario walk around in a room lol

Possible? Yes, although it would take a good bit of time and work.

Should you? Probably not. The fact of the matter is that you do not own the IP rights to this game. That means that you really do not have any permission to recreate their product... Nintendo could still have you stop working on the game at any time for any reason and you would be legally obligated to comply.

You could end up spending 2-3 years creating a 3d Mario game and they could have you remove it and stop work on it at any time... It does not seem worth it.

Another issue is the players will expect the game to play exactly like the original. If you deviate from this expectation chances are your players will be angry.

I would advise instead to create your own original game. I am sure with some thinking you can come up with an idea just as good as a plumber who stomps on turtles and eats mushrooms.

Good luck.

Quote:

Hey, I am aware this is over my head, but would it be possible to do an accurate remake of super mario 64 in c++?

Yes.

Quote:

and what graphics would you use?

The graphics that are appropriate and are legally available to you.

Quote:

is there any available source code from the game?

No, although there have been articles which discuss some of the technical aspects of the game (such as the camera system, in for example one of the Game Gems books).

Quote:

has anyone done this before?

People have built similar kinds of games, certainly. Replicating Super Mario 64 itself would be rather pointless as there's nothing you could do with it that would be legal.

I think that he just wants to do it for fun, and that's fine. Re-creating your favourite games is a lot of fun and if I were able to make something even remotely close to Mario 64 I would feel very satisfied and proud of myself. To answer your question, yes of course it would be possible to make it in C++. But yeah, like the others have mentioned it would take a lot of effort and time.

I don't think there is any source code available anywhere from the game, but you could try searching around for some code from similar 3D platform games. That would probably help you a lot.

speaking of the gems books, what level programmer should you be before deciding to work through them?

And are these the lua books?

Quote:
Original post by BlueBan007
speaking of the gems books, what level programmer should you be before deciding to work through them?

And are these the lua books?

I believe jpetrie was referring to the Game Programming Gems.

If by "work through them" you mean actually reading them, then it depends on which gem in question. Some are perfectly suitable for novice to intermediate. Others seem like(at least to me) that you need some sort of degree in mathematics to properly/fully understand them(or just a few college classes is probably more like it).

However, if you mean actually buying them, they're, on average, $60+ bucks apiece to get them new. So unless you have (serious) plans of going into the industry, whether professionally or a "serious" hobby, you might want to see if you can borrow a copy(friends, or even possibly even the library, depending) or somesuch.

As far as the gem jpetrie was quoting, that is in the second Gems book. If you've a chance to borrow it and/or get photocopies of the pages from the library, you'll want the 4th section, 11th article. Titled "Classic Super Mario 64 Third-Person Control and Animation". Pages 425-432 in my copy.

I will be an incoming freshman this next fall semester for a degree in comp sci and plan on pursuing game development, what all that entails I guess Ill be finding out lol

thanks for the info!