• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Beyond_Repair

C99 const keyword - indirection

This topic is 3364 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I did quick googling on this but the explanations found are too simple (eg. "a const object is unmodifiable"). Ok, say I have a struct and two functions like this:
typedef struct
{
   otherstruct_t* ptr;
} somestruct_t;

void do_something(const somestruct_t* s)
{
   s->ptr->... = ...;
}

somestruct_t* return_something(const somestruct_t* array, int index)
{
   return &array[index];
}

What gives in these cases? I thought that const implies I can't write directly in the type qualified (not counting indirection) in the scope of the function, but I get GCC warning me about constness getting discarded by functions similar to the two above. I've probably misunderstood the keyword. I'm not completely inexperienced with C but I didn't bother with this qualifier before, this time however I'd like to help the compiler's optimizer unless it gives me too much of a headache.

Advertisement
Above code is not compilable, and I can't really imagine what you mean exactly; please post real code, not pseudo code.

Wikipedia has a nice page about const correctness, as well as the C++ FAQ Lite.

It's pseudo in that I have not written out a definition for otherstruct_t, which is another structure. Nor have I written out the assignment. But it shouldn't matter for the understanding of the problem.

Don't know if reading about C++ constness will help, considering there are differences in how C deals with constants compared to C++.

Will check out wiki, thanks.

Just checked some code that I think you really mean (C++ though):

struct somestruct_t
{
somestruct_t* ptr;
};

{
return array + index;
}

This won't compile, because gcc spits an error for trying to implicitly discard the const qualifier.

Quote:
Original post by Beyond_Repair
It's pseudo in that I have not written out a definition for otherstruct_t, which is another structure. Nor have I written out the assignment. But it shouldn't matter for the understanding of the problem.

It matters, because

{
return array[index];
}

is invalid code. Function return_something accepts a const somestruct_t* as a parameter, and by signature returns a somestruct_t*; but actually your return statement tries to return a somestruct_t, i.e. invalid code.

It does compile, but I'm allowing warnings (not like it matters as I always fix them and never lead them to be, like in this case). :P

Edit: Uggh, I forgot the address of operator in my example. Sorry-.

Quote:
It does compile, but I'm allowing warnings (not like it matters as I always fix them and never lead them to be, like in this case). :P

Okay, now I am really in C. Let me dig ...

Aha, Wikipedia probably answers my question:

Quote:
Another loophole applies both to C and C++. Specifically, the languages dictate that member pointers and references are "shallow" with respect to the const-ness of their owners — that is, a containing object that is const has all const members except that member pointees (and referees) are still mutable.

Weird GCC is giving me a warning then, but I guess it's because it's not "recommended".

Quote:
Aha, Wikipedia probably answers my question:

Quote:
Another loophole applies both to C and C++. Specifically, the languages dictate that member pointers and references are "shallow" with respect to the const-ness of their owners — that is, a containing object that is const has all const members except that member pointees (and referees) are still mutable.

Weird GCC is giving me a warning then, but I guess it's because it's not "recommended".

What is the warning and what gcc version?
The following produces no warnings using:
$ gcc -ansi -pedantic -Wall -Wextra const_aware.c

#include <malloc.h>
typedef struct
{
int i;
} otherstruct_t;

typedef struct
{
otherstruct_t* ptr;
} somestruct_t;

void do_something(const somestruct_t* s)
{
s->ptr->i = 2;
}

const somestruct_t* return_something(const somestruct_t* array, int index)
{
return array + index;
}

int main()
{
somestruct_t* s = malloc(sizeof(somestruct_t));
s->ptr = malloc(sizeof(otherstruct_t));
s->ptr->i = 1;
do_something(s);
free(s->ptr);
free(s);

return 0;
}

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!