Garriott Sues NC soft

Started by
5 comments, last by Stani R 14 years, 11 months ago
My source for the news can be found here: I think this bit of news really interesting to me both as an industry developer and as a game designer. Info on the project he worked on for NC-soft can be found here. I know I'm really only getting half the story here and apologies for expressing an opinion here rather then be neutral on the subject matter. But what drives someone to sue a company in which they where contacted, hired and given a massive time and money budget to create a game, only to fail and never publicly explain as to why they think the game failed? In fact we haven't herd a peep from Garriott about the project he spent 5 years of his life on. [If anyone knows news that's contrary to that please post it up.] What factors can lead to such a charge being made? I did play Tabula Rasa for about 2 1/2 months and I sympathise with the production staff because there was some genuinely fun level designs and well designed gameplay titbits which where otherwise buried in some other very questionable design choices. I've always been curious as to how much input Garriott had on the project and why it's turned into such the fiasco it is today. Any ideas or thoughts? EDIT: An explanation is posted here: Kotaku - Why Richard Garriott Is Suing NCsoft Thanks to Whackjack and Lockiepick for linkage. [Edited by - DesignerWatts on May 6, 2009 7:23:21 PM]
Advertisement
I must say that looks a bit cynical.

Everything is better with Metal.

It's Tabula Rasa by the way. [smile]
I would look at this article. If that is even half-accurate then NCSoft deserves a massive kick in the crotch. Faking the guy's farewell letter? Even ignoring the money issues that's utter bullshit.
_______________________________________Pixelante Game Studios - Fowl Language
Here's an explanation over why it's happening...
Kotaku - Why Richard Garriott Is Suing NCsoft

EDIT - beaten to the punch.
Aha, thanks for posting this dude.

And now I know. :)

Quote:Original post by LockePick
I would look at this article. If that is even half-accurate then NCSoft deserves a massive kick in the crotch. Faking the guy's farewell letter? Even ignoring the money issues that's utter bullshit.

Assuming Lord British isn't shitting us (and I don't really see why he would - that would be a PR grave and a couple hundred thousand wasted on lawyer bills), NC Soft really pulled a number on him. I guess the rules of the game change drastically when big money is involved. The sad part is - if they had spent half that sum on Tabula Rasa, it might have become a success.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement